Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D Washington Graded Cleaned?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 345Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  3:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a re-engraved tail feathers variety. It looks great in hand and the true view pictures. I'm probably going to take it out of the slab, dip it in acetone and resubmit it with a few other Bu 57D Washington's. This time I won't say anything about the variety and see if it grades straight. In hand it has great luster. Do you guys see any obvious cleaning?

Pillar of the Community
United States
8913 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Not seeing any evidence of a cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24472 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks original and uncleaned. MS-66, maybe MS-67. Not sure what you need to do the Acetone bath for, I don't see anything like glue, pvc haze or paint that would need to be removed. This is a nice one, don't mess with it.
Chances are they won't specify it as a variety unless you request it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say solid MS-66 or better. Monster.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17744 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice , don't mess with it . MS-66 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Will, if you want to submit for re-evaluation is OK. your coin, your choice. IMO is more then they give primary. For me is no doubt this.

Quote:
This is a re-engraved tail feathers variety. It looks great in hand and the true view pictures. I'm probably going to take it out of the slab, dip it in acetone and resubmit it with a few other Bu 57D Washington's. This time I won't say anything about the variety and see if it grades straight. In hand it has great luster. Do you guys see any obvious cleaning?

This is far to be a cleaned coin. Put in acetone? bad choice, they will see at first glance.

I will send for re-evaluation and told them, not clean, high in grade as your other certify, and if they consider not ask for report for I think 2 dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1030 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So this coin was already graded and attributed as FS-901 UNC details cleaned...you think because of the attribution request they overly scrutinized it thus giving it a details designation?
Interesting concept of slipping him in there with other UNC's to see if they see cleaning again...then once it straight grades send him back for the attribution...
I look fwd to this experiment
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24472 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say why these graders come up with what they do. From the photos, no obvious signs of cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17744 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too would never had said this Quarter was cleaned at any time .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12532 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one must keep in mind we are looking at Trueview which is NOT a true view of the coin. I dont see any signs of any type of cleaning using these photos. maybe in hand it shows something, I wouldnt touch it and would not resub unless you think it would come in at 67 straight. 66 would not justify costs
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks. I won't acetone it but definitely going to try for a resubmission. I really appreciate the comments
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I'd crack it and resubmit it without trueview, then when it straight grades send it in for attribution and trueview. How I'd do it anyways.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18053 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the series but it looks to have possibly been whizzed.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing any marks to say that it was whizzed...those fields are beautiful...as is the whole coin.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
8033 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous quarter ! I see no cleaning.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: