Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Lincoln Cent Errors On Obverse And Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 239Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mojatas to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all,
I have been searching every where trying to find a coin with this specific error on the reverse. I believe it has the "L" error on the rim on the obverse. Let me say here I am a novice and learning everyday. So please excuse my ignorance and my lack of computer skills. I have no idea what is going on with the reverse side of the coin. Looks like the columns are melted half way across the coin. Any input and suggestions, thoughts and knowledge of this coin will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
46557 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Please properly crop photos before posting. We need some good close ups to help you. As of now,it looks like PMD not an error.The L on the rim is common for that year.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/16/2022 04:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
963 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We really need straight on, close up pictures. What I see on the reverse though is just damage. The L close to the rim is normal on cents of this era.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71714 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much larger pics please.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice wood grain on your table
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59630 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse is showing damage to the coin. On the "L" On Liberty, when the die is showing extreme die wear you will see that device showing a movement towards the rim. So this it just a case of extreme die wear.

The die was normal when it was created, but after striking many coins, the die is showing die wear in the normal direction. (Towards the closest rim) These are not a premium for the coin, just a die event. Just as we age, we breakdown with aging. Same for a die, as it repeats the same event sometimes up to a million times. Die wear is common to see on coins:

Note the number of cents struck with a VLDS die wear pattern. They are very common with the 54% of these happening on production. To me I prefer an earlier die state as the numbers are a lot less and the beauty of youth of the die is seen on these coins.

CoopHome: Is a coin with more die wear worth a premium? die wear is very common to find
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 239Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: