Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which "Junk Silver" Coins Would You Sell First (Numismatic Wise)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 406Next Topic  
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  2:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MobtownBuzi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From a numismatic scarcity perspective; which junk silver coins would you unload from first to last? Ultimately; which coins are less/more difficult to find based on original low mintages & higher melt rates over time?

This was my thought :

40% Kennedy halves
Roosevelt dimes
Mercury dimes
35% Nickels
90% Kennedy halves
Washington quarters
Franklin halves
Walker Halves
Peace dollars
Morgan dollars

Personally starting to amass a little too much "junk silver". Planning on selling some when silver goes back-up in price.
Edited by MobtownBuzi
09/19/2022 3:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with your priority list, except I'd move the 35% nickels to the top. Most of my Kennedy halves are 90%. I don't plan to sell unless I have to financially.
Edited by livingwater
09/19/2022 3:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20051 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have about half a kilo of circulated World junk silver.
Thanks to the variety, they form an interesting grouping.
They range from 250 fine to 925 fine, dime to dollar size.

Nevertheless, if it came to selling them, I would have to assess ASW individually, and get a total amount of ASW before selling them as a job lot. There would be no preference to keeping any of them.
Edited by sel_69l
09/19/2022 6:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't consider any Morgan or Peace dollar to be junk silver unless it is in extremely bad condition; i.e. jewelry or very harshly cleaned. Nearly all problem free examples have at least some numismatic value right now.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are thinking of buying junk silver coins for bullion purposes, going rates on eBay are as follows:
35% silver nickels: roll of 40 = $50. 2.2505 oz Ag = $22.22/oz
90% Roosevelt dimes: roll of 50 = $100. 3.6170 oz Ag = $27.64/oz
90% Washington quarters: roll of 40 = $200. 7.2339 oz = $27.65/oz
1 oz .999 silver round = $27.50
All prices quoted include shipping.
Hope that you find this useful.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
960 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, the most common silver coins are Mercury and Roosevelt dime.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me personally, I'd sell off the 35% and 40% stuff first, I doubt most people even know those are silver so it is harder to get rid of them.

Next, ditch the stuff where the same type spans into the non-silver era like Roosevelts and Washingtons. No one wants to look at every coin to verify the date.

The good stuff is where one glance and you know its silver, like Mercurys and Franklins.

Walkers and the old silver dollars I wouldn't even call 'junk', those start to get 'numismatic'.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20051 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To Hondo Boguss
Thx for the ASW per ounce rates for the different finesses.

Very important for highly varied World junk silver coins.
It does cost more per ounce to refine the silver out of lower fineness silver coins,
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 406Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: