Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 D Bat Quarter Doubling In "In God We Trust"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 487Next Topic  

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  01:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add savatreatabvr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
To me "IN GOD WE TRUST" is clearly doubled, probably Machine Doubling? Of course my knowledge of Double Dies and Machine Doubling is mediocre at best so can I please have help determining what's up with this 2020 D quarter?

Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you already came to the correct conclusion yourself. It also appears to exhibit a bit of Die Deterioration Doubling as well. I'm not seeing true hub doubling here.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48358 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bumpkin,
Congrats on 500 post
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add savatreatabvr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even with clear dramatic Machine Doubling like this there's really no added valve, correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No added value but good example.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60871 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see both on this coin. The DDD on the same side as the MD. Neither better than the other. When you look at the outside edges on these Single squeeze dies, you are looking at Machine Doubling on an extremely worn die. On the DDO on that area, the devices will show distortion.

Note how the distorted look is not on this one. Just Machine Doubling and DDD.

CoopHome: Can more than one issue affect a coin at the same time? yes. note the DDD and also the Machine Doubling is affecting this coin. on another coin could could have all three, but not on this example it is a normal coin affected by DDD and Machine Doubling.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add savatreatabvr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop:

Thank you for the illustration, I'm not new at collecting or lets say collecting coins is not a dedicated hobby for me, yet anyways, but I had no idea Double Die distorted the letters, I still don't see the doubling though. The trained eye, I have not, lol! Yet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60871 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The distortion happens on the dies that are part of the single squeeze process. The distortion I mention, it the hub doubling. Distortion from the movement of the hub during the die creation. It reminds me of a Distorted Bicycle tube that is over inflated:

That is what you need to see on a doubled die on the single squeeze dies. Distortion from the normal shapes seen side by side. Your coin is showing Machine Doubling altering the devices, but the distorted devices are what you need to look for on these obverse devices on the motto on the States and ATB Quarters. (Post 1999 quarters obverses on that area)

CoopHome: What do you mean: "Distorted Devices?" slight movement of the hub altered the devices on this area during die creation, making this a doubled die on that area of the design on these quarters. hub doubling on the die mark makes that die a doubled die
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/05/2022 12:35 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 487Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: