Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My New Add 1882 10 Cents.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 3,074Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  7:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Latest add to my collection; anyone have info on when this may have been "coined"?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8961 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recent Chinese counterfeit
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you; I can't find other images like mine and would appreciate your help with images of another Chinese one!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8961 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why?
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4497 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
H is Wrong , numerals are wrong ,
colour is wrong , obverse is wrong .
Probably not even silver .
Is as stated recent counterfeit from the
People's Republic
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10033 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  12:47 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 8s in the date are a give away.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4634 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Chinese also haven't quite got down the bridge of her nose and eye socket. When they started out, there was NO bridge of the nose, just a blank, but they've worked on getting it better, but a fake is a fake.
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's helpful to ALL of us that when you give an opinion you follow with a few comments as to why you arrived at that opinion.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the responses; I haven't been able to find another like example in my internet searches, which I am pretty good at...

As a researcher and writer of articles on counterfeits I always try to find additional samples and possible source for the fakes- just stating it is a "Chinese fake/ counterfeit" is not helpful!

This particular example was in a recent Brussels auction.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8749 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember also that Chinese fakes are typically made to fool the majority of people (like for the unscrupulous to sell on ebay). So most of the fakes the Chinese make have what experienced collectors see as obvious problems.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Earle42; I have had a few articles published in a few venues on counterfeits but mostly US; I also have a collection of pieces certified genuine by all 4 of the major TPGs. One is an 1882 GB counterfeit shilling which I learned a bit about. I have no foundation for Canadian pieces though which is why I posted here along with a couple of other forums. This pieces does not look like current Chinese to my eyes.

Thanks again, Jack D. Young
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hobbs9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - In case you are unaware, Jack Young (burfle23) is one of the premier Counterfeit Detection experts in early US Large Cents, bust dollars, and other US Federal coinage issues. His findings are published in venues like Coin Week.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4634 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Burfle23 ... You need to get in contact with Mike Marshal up here in Canada. HE is the Canadian expert on fakes of Canadian coinage, and ESPECIALLY the Chinese. His moniker here on CCF is nickelsguy.
Edited by okiecoiner
10/10/2022 12:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8961 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I haven't been able to find another like example in my internet searches, which I am pretty good at...
You should change that to "not very good at", you didn't even bother to look close by, there are pics right here on this forum. I'm not going to do your legwork for you. I replied "why" a while back because I was pretty sure you had found other images ( it's easy on this site and elsewhere) and wondered about your motivation.
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
10/10/2022 1:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2606 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the point of posting that you're going to go out of your way to not help somebody?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8961 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because this particular OP must know about the primary source of Chinese counterfeits and how to navigate their site. I'm curious as to why he wants others to provide pics.
-from PCGS website
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 3,074Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: