Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880 S Morgan Dollar Amazing Toning

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 883Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Man I love this coin it's so Gorgeous to me. Good Grade Quality also. What y'all think.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1217 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So difficult to grade toners. I'm gonna say MS66
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13673 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant get a handle on what if any scratches are on the coin or on the holder.

the 80(S) should be sharp and bold but the hair above the forehead and along the edge down to the ear seems to be either strike related or wear. this is a tough call

it could be anywhere between AU58 and MS65. with all that toning this is one is probably better assessed in hand. there is even a possibility that the coin was cleaned.

maybe someone else has x-ray vision to see through all of this
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell what is on the holder vs the coin, specifically the obverse.
Edited by ericgreen
10/26/2022 1:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking MS-65, but I concur with others who have said that this coin is difficult to make a true assessment on.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74917 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparent scratches on the holder make this difficult to evaluate - I'll take a pass.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10540 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High AU to low MS--photos are difficult to digest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they gave it a 63 because of the toning. Otherwise, it would only make 62 due to the surface scratches.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What holder? the coin is in a holder but not encased.

It looks like all the scratches are on the coin.

Looks like a poor cleaning job to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's so Gorgeous to me

Coins are like wives, husbands, friends and lovers . "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4374 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, tough call. MS63/MS64?

Quote:
"beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Very true. To each their own. It's a bit inconsistent and reverse is a bit dark for my taste. As long as you're happy!
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's a 65 graded by PCGS. It's not a fake, fraud coin, or any other as stated in comments. To all people always commenting about fake coins the truth is unless it's graded by PCGS, NGC I don't care if you got your family's coin collection from 100 years it ain't real. A family member could of bought a coin from A smuggler and they could of bought a coin from a countifiter who got from another countifiter. So don't have to blast people coins. I buy them cuz I like them not to please others. I share on here cuz a friend told me to join. But every coin every person has is a fake until it's authenticated in my book and that's the truth. Keep on collecting and sharing love

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10540 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. Without having the holder in-hand, it appears through the photos that the holder is a bit scuffed. Coin is very cool.

DieselCountry -- Please understand that you have the item in-hand and can view it at any angle under a variety of lighting sources. We 'out here' are left to look at static images--we cannot view the coin like you can. Again, nice coin.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree and a pic is worth 1000 words. I I collect cuz it's what I enjoy. Just like the first time my daughter opened a roll of halves and found a 90% silver Kennedy. She yelled I've got silver. Her joy made me so happy. That's what alot of people have gotten away from. Joy of collecting. Not for a get rich scheme. I love O mint mark coins A MS 63 O is a MS 70 in my book if I come across one. Cuz my grand mother family is from Louisiana. A million dollar coin has several different riches. Just like the natural tone on this coin. Rainbow is always seen. Not this color or style bits why I love it
Pillar of the Community
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's not a fake, fraud coin, or any other as stated in comments.

I just reread this thread and not a single inference to the coin being fake or a fraud was made by anyone.

If you post pictures of a coin here you are gonna get grading OPINIONS that will possibly be all over the map!

The poster has the luxury of seeing the coin in-hand. We are handicapped by having to look at pictures of a coin photographed under less-than-desirable conditions or entombed in a scratched up plastic holder, or both. Results are you get what you get! In this case the assessment fell between AU58 to MS66. That's a pretty big spread!

Obviously PCGS liked the coin and it met their standards for a 65 when it was graded. It is what it is.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4374 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must admit, I'm a bit confused by this whole "fake" portion of the thread. Not sure what it's stemming from.

To each their own when it comes to collecting. Hate to break it to you, but just because a coin is in a PCGS or NGC slab doesn't always ensure it's authenticity. Yes, 99.9% of the time they are genuine, but counterfeits have wound up in major TPG slabs from time to time. Not to mention the countless number of fake PCGS slabs floating around these days. Pretty sure Jack Young just posted somewhere about that.

If slabs give you peace of mind, then more power to you. Studying, truly studying, a series and learning as much as you can about it, is just as good a guard against counterfeit purchases as a slab of plastic.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 883Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: