Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your "59 Cent" Roll Finds.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,433Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2022  07:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please post your "59 cent" roll finds or any roll finds where you find mixed denominations in the roll.

We roll searchers are usually looking for a "bonus" when we search. Whether it's a variety, an error, or a circulation rarity we love 'em all.

I do Lincoln cent rolls on occasion and got 10 customer-wrapped rolls Friday at my local bank branch which is supposed to only sell two rolls because of the coin shortage and all. (10 rolls is Bonus #1.)

Two (count 'em, 2!) rolls had 1 clad dime in them. Woo hoo!

I've got to be exuberant about finding these bonus rolls because two months ago I got about $200 worth of customer-wrapped quarter rolls and about 5 rolls had one nickel shoved into the middle of each quarter roll. Not cool.

I'm kind of curious what kind of mixed denomination rolls we can find. Dimes in cent rolls, nickels in quarter rolls, and what else? Let us know what you have found. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

So share your roll finds with bonus denominations or even the short ones so we can all sulk together or celebrate together.

Please include an image of the coin wrapper to give a sense of what era the coins were wrapped in.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing the bonus rolls and shorties.

(BTW- I separate the copper as well. These 2 rolls had 14% & 8% copper in them, which seems to be the trend here in mid-east Fl. I found a post from 2008 which had the average at about 25%. Lately, the copper has been running 10%-20% on average. Down from +-20 % to 25% in about 2018)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2967 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2022  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun thread! I'll start you off with a downer. How about a little plastic in your bank roll.... This has happened to me twice now.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10688 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the moment I don't have any photos, but will post some when I turn up anything interesting. In the past I've had dimes (both US and Canada) in cent rolls, along with foreign small copper and copper clad coins--even a late 30s kopeck. Quarter rolls have had coins from the UK and South America, and a couple car wash tokens. Then there was the time I found a thin gray button in a roll of nickels.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2967 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't want to start and then leave, on a bad note, so here's a positive. Worth about a buck, according to Numista. LINK https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pi...6%20onwards.

South Korean 10 Hwan

-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found dimes in cent rolls many times, usually from Brinks rolls, not Loomis rolls.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found the occasional foreign coins. Quite a few dimes that are very dark in cent rolls. Many years ago I worked in a gas station. That place was a goldmine for coins. Anyways, I opened a roll of quarters and it was solid Canadian with a few nickels in it, to make it the same length as the US rolls.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2022  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the concept!

But remember, some rolls are out there just waiting to attack!

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing those finds.

Makescents, That plastic coin is interesting but definitely a bummer. Thanks for adding the South Korean 10 Hwan as well.

ijn1944, looking forward to any images you can add.

tencentpenny, interesting you've found odd stuff in Brinks but not Loomis rolls. Maybe Loomis has better filters for their operation.

Nycstlrr, I know I've found foreign coins as well, especially Canadian cents. That Canadian roll with some nickels was a double whammy when you consider the exchange rate as well. Did you get the roll expecting US quarters?

Yokozuna, not a good roll at all. And whoever put the sockets in it had quite the operation because it looks like that roll was machine crimped at each end.
Is that one you found?

Edited by Petespockets55
10/30/2022 08:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Petespockets55 said...

Quote:
whoever put the sockets in it had quite the operation because it looks like that roll was machine crimped at each end.
Is that one you found?

I noticed the double crimped ends on the roll as well. It seems that some people will go above and beyond while trying keep from getting caught.

It didn't happen to me, I found this on the interweb and grabbed the image to share on CCF. It was part of a notice that was posted in a restaurant near a collage campus. The owner was explaining why he would no longer accept rolled coins as a form of payment.

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Petespockets55 I did expect it to be US quarters. Just dumped them in the till and mixed them in with the US ones when making change. Only one person complained about getting Canadian in change. I do remember that there was no silver in the roll.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... It was part of a notice that was posted in a restaurant near a collage campus...

Ahhh. College students and their shenanigans. That explains a lot. LOL

Quote:
... Just dumped them in the till and mixed them in with the US ones when making change...

At least that minimized the "damage" from the Canadian quarters ... but not those nickels.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10688 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the matter of Loomis rolls--I've found a few foreign coins in Loomis. I'd say 90%+ of my odd finds have come from customer wrapped rolls.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8764 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I lived near the border Canadian change was common to the point it was not really looked at as being "foreign" like finding a, let's say, Chinese coin would be. And although the exchange rate was enough to be concerned about major amounts, no one cared about finding a few Canadian quarters in a handful of change. It just was not worth the time or effort.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joshu - a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once found 59 cents in penny rolls before. Both ends of several rolls were filled to the brim then taped. Some little kid must have done that. This was before I went to a bank that unwrapped and recounted coin rolls.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joshu - a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My grandma once put 50 dimes in a penny roll, but I checked her coin rolls and found out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ijn1944, I think most of mine have been in customer-wrapped rolls as well.

Earle42, That's the way I remember it as well from I lived in Maine. I had a paper route in the early 70s and I actually looked for Canadian change back then because US silver was hard to find but not Canadian silver.

Quote:
... My grandma once put 50 dimes in a penny roll, but I checked her coin rolls and found out.

Joshu-a, 10 x face value. Not that it's a contest, but I think you are an early-round winner... or maybe your Grandma was!

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: