Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 DDO Seated Half Dollar?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 792Next Topic  
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2022  6:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AlexDC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!

I'm excited to find out that my 1858 Seated half dollar may be the DDO variety, WB-102!

Before I get too excited though I wanted to consult you all. What are your thoughts? It looks to match the doubling I'm seeing listed on NGC's site here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plu...s-1839-1891/

Sorry for some of the pic quality, he case is a little scratchy. I'd be happy to retake any if needed!

Alex

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlexDC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the reverse just in case :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1414 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2022  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are correct! You captured it well in your pics...
Beautiful coin!
I don't know enough about these to say if the attribution carries a premium or not...but still good eye!
smat
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlexDC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Smat45! I was very surprised to see it, I was reading about Seated halves and just grabbed the only one I had to see what variety it was! Very lucky.

It looks like the most recent comprable auction was $528 on an NGC AU53 this year. I think with this being the highest graded example between PCGS and NGC it may carry a little extra premium. A normal 1858 50C AU55 runs for about $400-$500 though, so not a huge difference regardless.

I want to cross it over to PCGS though as I prefer them. Hopefully they'll agree with the grade, otherwise I'll keep it NGC and have them reholder it with the variety attribute.
Learn More...
United States
120861 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1414 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2022  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
want to cross it over to PCGS though as I prefer them. Hopefully they'll agree with the grade, otherwise I'll keep it NGC and have them reholder it with the variety attribute.

The cross over and attributions can get pretty expensive when you take postage into consideration. This can really dig into your profit.
Seems like since you already attributed it...I would just note her as such and be proud to have done it yourself.
But that's just me...
Good luck and if you send her in...be sure to follow-up and let us know how it went...along with the total expense incurred.
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are correct. It is a WB-102, WB-1 and is a DDO with a rarity of R3. PCGS has 2 of these attributed with one at XF45 and the other at AU53.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1348 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well spotted, Alex!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 792Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: