Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Auction Fever? 1909 VDB Wheat Cent PCGS MS-63 RD Sells For $700

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 656Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  9:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was on a HiBid auction today. I had bid $35 on it but alas, it seems that others wanted it much more.
Sold listings on eBay show them going between $45 - $85.
Really not sure - what went on there?
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
6624 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it was some kinda doubled die or error that was not noted on the holder. Otherwise, somebody paid way too much.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8583 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is moon money unless the buyer feels they cherrypicked a rare variety. Can you share a link to the coin?

edit for spllgening
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
11/21/2022 05:27 am
Valued Member
Uruguay
67 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marckdaniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would like to see a pic!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10067 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be fun to see photos.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73644 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics would be great!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
6624 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Auction photos are so bad you cannot see details. Auction lists show a lot of off-brand slabs. They also use the terms "closely" uncirculated and "nearly" uncirculated on a lot of their unslabbed coins. I'd tread very lightly around this auction site.

As far as the 700$ 1909 cent goes? I'd suspect the coin was shilled to that number.

As the old saying goes: "Run Forrest, run!"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18265 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see any close details from these photos . I don't believe it's from shill biding . Price way too large for bidders to follow . Something very fishy about this whole thing . How can it go from a $55 lead to a $700 hammer , or was this coin even won by anyone ?
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at their auctions in the past. Last week a 1916-D Mercury dime PCGS G-06 went for $800.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12365 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't believe it's from shill biding . Price way too large for bidders to follow . Something very fishy about this whole thing . How can it go from a $55 lead to a $700 hammer , or was this coin even won by anyone ?

I'm thinking the same thing. Just what is a 'floor bidder' on an on-line auction?
Edited by Dearborn
11/21/2022 4:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3675 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the record, HiBid is just an auction platform. The crazy belongs to the individual sellers.
-----Burton
48 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any possibility there was a data entry error and the final price was $70?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2179 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe a few bidders didn't know Philly also made VDB cents that year?
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Geyercoinauction to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I've seen some strange high prices on high bid. I don't understand the site completely, tried to bid on some coins but it was a little complicated and after seeing some high prices, I figured it probably wasn't worth looking at it anymore. Some of the cons for sale there are also for sale in other sites, so not sue how the site works and the high prices on some regular coins makes it more complicated for me.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 656Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: