Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 D Washington Quarter Straight Clipped Planchet Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 506Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
170 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  12:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CaptJeffWorthFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Opening rolls today and the last roll of the box I opened it and at first thought I got another SD card or chip of some kind. Noticed it was a quarter with quarter of it missing lol. First straight clipped planchet I have found.

Edited by CaptJeffWorthFL
11/23/2022 12:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3647 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me I do not see a legitim strait clip here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8460 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the diagnostics to determine if clips are 'real' or PMD. Can someone explain how this is a genuine mint error clip please.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73352 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Dr. coop or tropicalbats will see this and comment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need to see edge please.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8489 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the images provided, this clip does not appear to be a legitimate US Mint error.

A coin with a clip should show evidence of the Blakesley Effect - a weakness of strike at the rim opposite the clip area. The opposite rim on this coin appears fully-formed without weakness.

Additional images may prove differently, but that's what my eyes see in what has been presented.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17010 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a clip, the rims aren't dovetailed plus you can see extra metal
along the edge that would not occur with a genuine clip.
Learn More...
United States
25416 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on team shed job for this one too, although it would be nice to see an edge view of that "clip".
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree this is PSD.
(I see no "Smith Effect" on the edges of the rim either as they disappear into the cut edge.)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4824 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than looking at the edge, the coin is missing all of the three things one would normally give a quick check for. There appears to be no distortion of the lettering near the clip, no Blakesley Effect and no Smith Effect. Many large clips show little or no Blakesley, but having none of those three I strongly lean toward a faked clip. As a side note, most larger straight clips don't seem to end up quite that straight as the metal deforms a bit differently across the clip as it crosses areas with devices and fields.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, this appears to be PMD.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12178 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any 'smith' or blakesley effects on this one.

Quote:
most larger straight clips don't seem to end up quite that straight as the metal deforms a bit differently across the clip as it crosses areas with devices and fields.

that and the fact that when the planchet is struck, the metal will expand into the empty area that is not contained by the collar.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2171 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the tells of a coin that was sheered. As stated above, metal from the cut still above the surface of the coin, would have been pressed level with surface. Devises struck up fully at the cut, they should have trailed off into the cut. To straight, metal would have [smooshed] into the cut.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptJeffWorthFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some photos that are a little closer to give a final verdict if this is a shed job or a real clipped. Will it get sentenced back into circulation? Will it get put in a flip and sent off to get a slab? I am guessing the first one..... we'll see.... I am no expert in these errors.

Learn More...
United States
25416 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really good edge pics @cap. Nothing here makes me think it happened at the mint.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3647 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin show a strait vertical cut. The rolls are trimmed by circular cutters and not vertical. Here attached it is an blade cutter for vertical cut. Sorry the coins was cut after left the mint

Please look at the same pattern of the blade and the side of the coin. The mint has the blades sharp in rotative motions and are diamantes.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: