Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Some Old Nickels. Need Help On Prices (1940 D, 1943 P, 1946)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 267Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thebravewar45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these 3 old nickels in my grandparents basket of coins. There is a 1940, a 1943, and a 1946. Any idea on the prices of these?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
47324 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
118161 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
25367 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the '43 has a little bit of silver in it, so that has a small premium based on its composition. Not sure on the other two though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8400 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

Photos are necessary for an accurate opinion, but I offer the following general input:

The 1940 and 1946 and common date Jefferson nickels and if in average circulated condition are worth 5 cents each. If high MS then thats a different story - hence the need for photos.

The 1943 should have a large mintmark on the reverse above the dome of Monticello. It is a war time issue that contains 35% silver. As such at a minimum it has some medal value. If high MS then it has numismatic value.

Edit - I did not see the photos when I wrote the reply above. I stick with what I said based on viewing the photos.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
11/23/2022 3:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16941 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I wouldn't exactly call them old. The only one that has a bit of
value is the 1943 as it is comprised of 35% silver.
The other two are too well worn to have much of a premium.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9894 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all above.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2129 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$1 to $2 for the 1943P's silver content. The others are common dates and too worn to have numismatic value. Some coin shops will pay about 7 cents each for pre-1960 nickels. While it's no big payday, as a small project you could try to find a nickel from each of the ten years of the 1940s. All of them stilll circulate.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18146 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , all very worn , the 43-P is worth maybe $1 for it's 35% silver content . The others ,just face value 5 .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice finds The silver value of the 1943p nickel which is the minimum value of the nickel depends on the spot price, but today with silver at 21.77 the base silver melt value of that nickel would be 1.2249. Pretty good compared to 5 cents. Of course people are paying a small premium over the melt values as well. That nickel also has some numismatic value meaning that it has value above just the silver content, and the condition of a coin determines its ultimate value as others have stated. This ranges from $1.40-3.70 in circulated conditions, while uncirculated could be $6 for MS60, $23 for MS65, and can be far far higher if found in a really great condition worthy of grading. A 1940d ranges from 11 cents to 1.13 in different circulated conditions and a 1946p ranges about 28-39 cents in a decent circulated condition. So these are not going to let you retire early I'm afraid but keep learning about coins as certain dates do have much higher value, condition can make some coins very high value, and varieties/errors are also found on some coins that have added values.

A 1943p for example in a top grade after grading can bring $80, while the very rare best condition examples out there can actually bring 1,175-3,600 just because of its condition https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide.../nickels/25/
Edited by datadragon
11/23/2022 5:39 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thebravewar45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Everyone!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: