Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 S Proof Penny Clipped?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 433Next Topic  

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  03:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bbrown21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What type of error would this be?
Still in mint case.

Edited by Bbrown21
11/28/2022 03:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4269 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never encounter one before. Let go ahead.
Learn More...
United States
26148 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bb, I wonder if this cent wasn't damaged at the mint while the coin was being assembled into the packaging. We see something similar with the heat crimping that separates coins into separate compartments in flexible mint packaging.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75196 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61062 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was peeled off post strike. Note the inner rim of the affected area, was normal post strike. So either contact happened after the strike (Could be push mark on that area) or the zinc fell away post strike. (no mark on the outside edge of that affected area)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to me it looks like transparent glue or plastic stuck to the coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2608 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14080 Posts
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bbrown21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's after being struck but just before PMD? Think it's worth anything? Pretty odd to say the least. Surprised it got past them.
Edited by Bbrown21
11/29/2022 03:25 am
Learn More...
United States
26148 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bb, I'd probably characterize it as damage that occurred after the coin was struck, but before it left the mint building. As far as I know, there would not be a numismatic premium for this and actually might reduce the value of the proof coin.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10678 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Spence's take.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bbrown21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well as always thanks for the information!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61062 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It if were cello damage, it would have lines on the top of the rim:

The Proof set may have been dropped and chipped that area away?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: