Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Consider The Most Prestigious Grader?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,506Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  12:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
A fun poll for Sunday on who you believe is the finest grading service. I'd also like to find out what slab styles you tend to look for (color, era, rattler, etc). Do you believe one is better than another depending on the coin, year etc? Let's talk chat about it.

Poll Choices
  PCGS
  NGC
 ANACS
 ICG

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither one ; I'm good with grading my own coins . PCGS and NGC strictly for authentication purposes only .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20588 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though I may get it wrong a bit more often, I much prefer to grade for myself.

That is despite the fact that when I see a slabbed coin I will seriously consider the grade that has been given already.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10573 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the Coin Community Forum (CCF) went into the authentication and grading business--with graders drawn at random from CCF members with 500 or more posts--I'd have to go with them.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20588 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have an admission to make:
Sometimes, I cheat.
I refer to Photograde. That resource is there for all to use.
In more recent years, that is happening far less often.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1224 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photograde is helpful, but here's a fun fact I bet some will learn right now.

For the photos, they don't always use the same coin for the obverse and reverse.

This is due to coins not being the same grade on both sides.

I find it necessary to learn how to grade and learn all of the nuances.
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it is worth, my secondary Ike set is in PCGS holders, although I have two extras in NGC just to have them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Photograde is helpful, but here's a fun fact I bet some will learn right now.

For the photos, they don't always use the same coin for the obverse and reverse.

Do you know this for a fact? If so How?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For what it is worth, my secondary Ike set is in PCGS holders, although I have two extras in NGC just to have them.

To each his own .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To each his own

I must remind, the primary (original) Ike set is in a Dansco album. Completed thirty years ago.

The pending tertiary set will likely be CAPS, although a Capital Plastics holder is not off the table.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2609 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked my own definition of "prestigious" and selected ANACS. They've been around the longest.
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I picked my own definition of "prestigious" and selected ANACS. They've been around the longest.
Fair point.
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chirrrs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do all grading services use ANA guidelines?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7329 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends what you're looking for. Market grading, PCGS. Technical grading NGC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
six years in u.s. classics and moderns... somethings I learned fast somethings slow. If I'm buying NGC and PCGS are sweet since I didn't pay $35.00 for slab but if I'm slabbing its ANACS for me. Most my coins are under 250 bucks so can't get too far out of bounds with ANACS.
I'm seeing coins shown by newer members that equal one years worth of my entire yearly expendable income and I say right on to that have fun and wheel and deal and watch that hair fall out in your comb in the morning LOL oh baby but would I like that 1958 doubled die FS - 101 to study for 10 years then put her back on the auction block starting bid 800,000 bones...plus buyers fees. I notice all the big time coins just seem to be in a PCGS slab so their to high rollers choice.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
813 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2023  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@T-BOP, the last thing you should use the graders for is authentication services. They have graded tens of thousands of fake coins and fake errors over the years. I should know as I was part of a group that warned them about a number of fake Australian coins that they had slabbed. After they were warned I then sent 2 fakes in as I wanted some fake coin bodybag labels for my collection. Silly buggers graded both coins as real MS65 coins and even put the image of one on their population report website. They were not pleased when I had them advised that they had goofed. This past year another collector tipped them off about a bunch of different fake error Australian decimals that Mr Magoo would have spotted as fake. I also have an Australian shilling that they certified as a NZ shilling, a London struck sixpence slabbed as a Melbourne struck sixpence and a Large Denticle florin slabbed as the more common Small Denticle florin (that I picked up at the price of the Small which is a quarter of the price of a Large).
Basically for common US coins you shouldn't need them to identify genuine from fake and for obscure international coins then if you collect them you probably have more knowledge about that particular country and series than some grader who only has a modicum of knowledge about the thousands of different coins from scores of countries that he is supposed to identify and grade.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: