Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

So How Do I Justify What I Collect ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 728Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
73 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  08:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add crok to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since I am the on doing it ; it must be something I like, something I can enjoy.

Something small , portable and permanent.

Safe and conveniently available.

affordable with interest potential for others.

potential to remain in demand or solid chance to either retain its value or likely increase.

BUT how do you justify the end decision ?

especially with a huge range of things to troll through ?

i collect coins.

i like perfect things so slabs are my goto.

scarce but not rare so proof seventy grade.

if I am going to work and sacrifice myself it has to be pure gold.

so now the range of choices is much more focused and manageable and not all "over the place "; but not a 'niche' either.

niches are great if your so passionate about that one thing you become an expert in it maybe get good returns.

by this solid / rigid set of uncompromising rules it lets me decide that exchanging my labor at work is worth the end result in getting paid in money ; not fiat currency.

LoL ; I like my job and would do it as a part time hobby but I need money :)

my strict collecting focus lets me afford a 1/4 ounce every 3 weeks.

so no hardships, no feeling down that I compromised.

happiness that for an average joe I truly own some of the nicest things in the whole world :)

and that adds to my enjoyment and self esteem . . .

AND

guess what I do next ? ? ?

RINSE AND REPEAT ! ! !

thanks...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10553 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A hobby is a very personal thing. Whatever brings you joy in coin collecting--do it
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48388 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BUT how do you justify the end decision ?

If it makes you happy.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A hobby is a very personal thing. Whatever brings you joy in coin collecting--do it

Quote:
If it makes you happy.
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"justify"? To whom? You shouldn't have to justify to anyone why you have a hobby or how you approach it. If it's justification to yourself, well, you seem to have covered that one off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a collector of Canadian coins in the USA. I actually enjoy them more than modern US coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
774 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own, people collect what they like. I live in USA. Most of my modern coins/bullion are USA, but I've bought some coins from Canada, Mexico, Britain, Austria, France, Italy, Australia, South Africa and ancient coins too, Roman, Greek, Jewish.

As with any hobby/collectable, it's wise to stay within a budget, shop around to find the best prices, be careful of fakes. Collectors shouldn't have to justify to themselves or anybody (except maybe a wife ). Most if not all collectors have sometimes regretted buying a certain coin, maybe changed their mind or learned they paid too much. It's just the way collecting goes.
Edited by livingwater
12/09/2022 8:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2667 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My justification is that it's a hedge. I use that to temper my impulse in buying. It seldom works, but afterwards the hedge in a little bigger.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
United States
445 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are expecting a return on your money and/or a profit, you have to consider you're investing not exclusively just collecting.
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2022  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"justify"? To whom? You shouldn't have to justify to anyone why you have a hobby or how you approach it.
Valued Member
United States
445 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Justify to himself. There are a few coins I like but can't justify buying them when I take into consideration their potential future value and opportunity cost.
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2022  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering there is a toaster collectors group a stapler collectors group and a typewriter collectors group then any coin seems sensible to me
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2022  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ED silver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in Canada and collect mostly US coins we do what we love that's what makes us happy
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm in Canada and collect mostly US coins we do what we love that's what makes us happy
to the Community, ED silver!
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ED silver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck thank you
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: