Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Excited Are You To Find A 60 Year Old Coin In Circulation?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 2,173Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
45972 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  08:34 am Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I was a beginner collector in 1960, I was very excited to find a 1910 Lincoln Cent in money I got for turning in some soda pop bottles at the store. (and that is only a 50 year old coin).

I see a number of topics here about Lincoln Cents from the early 1960s, and I can imagine the poster might feel the same excitement of finding a 60 year old coin.

Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12950 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The older I get, that '60 year' threshold gets pushed back. These days, if I find something 75+ years old in circulation, I get mildly excited. I do appreciate the enthusiasm of those on the forum who are ecstatic when finding a coin from the '70s.

The magic of coin collecting...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6475 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the above it now has to be 1940's or older to make me go "WOW"
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not so much age but composition. For the U.S., that would be pre-1965 dimes and quarters. Older Jefferson nickels are still readily circulating. Some day we may get excited over pre-1983 cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
533 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do, if.... the coin is in exceptional condition, if its silver or if its a centenarian. I'm uncertain if inanimate objects should be labeled/viewed as "centenarian", but if coins could talk, I'm certain they'd have some unique stories to tell.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
81302 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pre-1930 coins make me sit up.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I see a coin from the 1960's I think I may have actually spent it when it was new.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2856 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 60, and started collecting before I was 10. Wheaties are mildly interesting in change, unless pre-'40s. Silver makes my eyes light up. Jefferson nickels have little appeal - really don't understand why some people are fascinated with circulated ones.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
2893 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2023  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not fazed anymore, although I used to get excited. Perhaps handling XF-AU 200 year old coins built a tolerance of amazement with modern change.
Suffering from bust half fever.
Want to learn how to attribute early half dollars by die variety? Click Here: http://goccf.com/t/434955
Shoot me a PM if you are looking to sell bust halves.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22290 Posts
Learn More...
United States
128288 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2023  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am 53 and am excited finding coins from the '80s and earlier. Only because I am constantly aware just how long ago that was in my life.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2362 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2023  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The older I get the further back I like to go than just 60 years, 100 to 150 years is my tickle spot now.
Edited by dsking
03/13/2023 6:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22290 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2362 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2023  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm giggling!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22290 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2856 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2023  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn, if you got that in change I'm just gonna quit right now.

Quote:
Then this one should tickle you for a loonnggg time....
King Edward I (1272-1307)
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
  Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 2,173Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: