Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When / Why Are Medals Referred To As "Ingots" ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2023  12:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cptbilly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I was researching the Lindbergh International Aerospace Hall of Fame medal, I located the D. Wayne Johnson database entry for the artist, Barbara Hyde. https://www.dickjohnsonsdatabank.co...barbara.html

Johnson catalogues her work under these headings: Badge Series; Medal Series; Medals; and, Ingots. Under the "Ingots" listing is a photo of the medal referenced above.

I usually associate "ingots" with bars or rounds of precious metals. What characteristic(s) would lead to calling a medal an ingot?

Thanks in advance.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2894 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2023  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it was a function of the site to which she uploaded her work? Programmers may have left few choices for categories.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9647 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2023  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would consider it a mis-categorization per accepted definitions of "ingot."

There are a number of similar "ingot" listings on this website that clearly are finished medals vs. an ingot.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Topic Starter
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2023  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cptbilly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your comments.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2023  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The images are not properly ordered at the website of D. Wayne Johnson.

I'm familiar with D. Wayne Johnson website and book. We exchanged books in 2015 (his Who's Who Among American Medalist for my Authoritative Numismatic Reference: Presidential Medal of Appreciation Award Medals 1958 - 1963).

If you look at the bronze medals after the Ingot section, they do not match the ingot's description.

Links to the Worthpoint website (for visualidentification).

1973 Curtis Jenny Biplane ingot - Patrick Mint
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...r-2013106028

1973 Model T Ford Ingot - Patrick Mint
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...d-1000879370

1973 Pony Express Ingot - Mother Lode Mint
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...9-1759284653

1973 Prairie Schooner Covered Wagon - Patrick Mint
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...gon-77583224
Valued Member
Topic Starter
Learn More...
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2023  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cptbilly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the clarification, DrDarryl.
Learn More...
Australia
15412 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2023  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer the more general question, it's all to do with the shape. "Ingot" could be used for any square or rectangular medal, even if it's not specifically intended as bullion. The dictionary definition emphasises "block" and "oblong" (rectangular) shape, though I would also happily include "irregular" shapes, such as the ancient oxhide-shaped copper ingots, within the definition.

I wouldn't use the word "ingot" for anything round, or even oval-shaped, not even if it was made of bullion metal.

So yes, that website is incorrect in filing those medals under "ingots". Looks like it's just an compositional error; those images should have been copy-pasted to the start of the "Medals" list, rather than the end of the "ingots" list.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: