Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anybody Collecting Silver Proof State Quarters?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 18,314Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2009  6:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add regularguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a almost complete collection of P and D uncirculated State Quarters. Today I stopped by a local coin dealer and saw that he has several silver proof singles of State Quarters. So I wonder if anyone is putting together a set of just silver proof state and territorial quarters?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2009  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I started a set this year and lack only the 2001's
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2009  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a completed Uncirulated "D" mint album.
I have a near-completed Uncirculated "P" & "D" mint album (except, more than a few of the P's are sub-par due to my location being near the Denver Mint.
I also have a complete Set of the Proofs for the State Quarters. I haven't cracked any Sets to put them in an album as of yet.

But the Silver Proofs........no......I only have a few Sets of these...4 years worth I think.
I don't see myself parting with the money to purchase these Silver Proofs either ! But for those that do....it will certainly be a nice Set ! ....... ... ...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2009  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started in 2004 with the silver proof sets. All I need to pick up is 1999-2003. I like the designs much better on the silver proofs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2009  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have them all, but they're all still in their original Silver Proof Sets.

It would be interesting to have a broken-out set of 50 Silver Proof Quarters.

I have this Colorado Quarter Set sitting on my desk:

The luminosity difference between the Silver Proof and the Clad Proof
Quarters, when put side-by side, is visible even in this picture!
(this means that if anyone did a Silver + Clad Set, the Clads would
look dull when parked next to the Silvers...)

Edited by DNA
12/21/2009 11:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2009  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't bring myself to bust open my silver proof sets, so the ones that I could buy in sets by themselves,I did,the rest I picked up in singles. I have them in a date set dansco and with them all on the page so close together they look like a mirror.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2009  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started buying the clad proof sets in 1999 and switched to silver proof sets in 2003. I have bought the 2000 and 2002 silver proofs sets recently. So I still need the 1999 and 2001 silver proof sets .. the hard ones to pay that much for them. Someday I will find them at a good price. I also have been buying the rest of the clad proof sets. I don't like putting proof coins in my dansco's, so unless I find a better way I will leave them in the mint holders. I do agree the silver proof coins look much better than any of the others, I do think I will break down and put a couple of the silver proof quarters in my type set, if I can find single Alaska or Hawaii at a good price.
Edited by GR58
01/07/2010 3:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 925dealer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver proof quarters and half dollars are currently underappreciated. THIS TREND WILL NOT LAST FOREVER! The 1999 silver proof sets sells for a couple hundred on ebay but most of the other silver proof sets are between $35.00 and $75.00. The mintages are LOW which should be beneficial in the long term to those who are astute to buy these now. Most silver State Quarters can be purchased by the piece for $5.00-6.00 plus shipping on ebay. That is only 20 to 24 times face (about double of bullion value). Not bad for a beautifully executed silver coin! Sincerely, John Leckrone
Pillar of the Community
United States
2541 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was considering it but decided not to. I think the best way to do it is with the PCGS or NGC slabs. You can get Proof 69 D-Cams on ebay for a pretty reasonable price.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HULLCOINS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have them from the Proof sets and graded by PCGS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2009  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up the last today, finally completed the dansco!
Edited by jokingjoker
12/23/2009 1:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2009  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmgi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just begun to buy the silver proof State Quarters and Kennedy half dollars individually slabbed by PCGS PF69 DCAM, right now I am concentrating on the 2008, 2009 issues because the word is getting out that the silver proof set mintages for these two years is going to be "really low" when it finally is official. Not many people are aware how low it is going to be, because the prices have not reflected it yet in my opinion. Personally I think that putting away as many slabbed proofs of these two years is the best potential investment for modern coinage we have seen in many, many years. What does anyone else think?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2541 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2009  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put together a silver State Quarter set this year. I got some at quite reasonable prices, but did pay over US$200.00 for 1999.
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2009  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wif99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have put together a set of Clad And Silver in Flagged PCGS Slabs PRDC-69 including territories I love the holder almost as much as the coin.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2009  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SIRFORDSTER to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a 2006s nebraska proof in a PCGS slab graded pf-69 DCAM for $20 is that a good deal?
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2010  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rastatodd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect silver State Quarter proofs. I have the 1999 set as wells as the 2009 set left to acquire. The price tag for the 1999 series is kind of steep, figured if I collect them one at a time I can wrap this series up. Will be keeping this set as a family hand me down which I'm excited about!
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 18,314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05