Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934-D Washington Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  04:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seems like these early Washington quarters ought to go in the Classic Coin forum. I doubt we'll ever see a return to this design. Pretty soon non-collectors won't remember that quarters used to look like this.

Anyway, here's my new quarter. The line across T in LIBERTY appears raised. It doesn't actually appear on the upright of the T so I presume it's a die crack, gouge, or polish line rather than a scratch. How would you grade this coin?

Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS61
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3942 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to many scratches to get an MS-61.

MS-60
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call it a tweener, AU58-MS62. However, that is a 2x difference in value Friction or flatness would be easier to determine in hand(preferably my hands)
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought about 58 because of the hair curl and breast but, these early Washington's are always plagued by weak strikes. I still think it's MS commensurate with a 61 grade.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking AU 58 but Dave is probably right on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments. I believe it's an AU-58 since there is a trace of rub on George's hair and the eagle breast. Luster is strong but definitely reduced on these high points. As usual, the digital photo highlights the tiny scratches and marks; in hand the coin has a nice balanced look without any noticeable defect.

My cost for this coin was $66 which I thought was very good for a slider '34-D. I think this date is somewhat underrated and I'm pleased to have picked up this example.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, you paid AU50 money I would have jumped on it for $66 as well.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WashQuartJesse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a 50 coin and feel you got what you paid for. I might say 55 if it had some luster but it really looks lifeless in the pics. The details of his hair are certainly worn, as are the curls around his ear, and possibly the eagle. This is my respectful opinion of the coin in question. These can be tough to grade...lots of sliders out there. I'm pretty sure the obverse rim is higher on these than the reverse and they used to split grade alot. I'm pretty sure this is one of the dates mentioned in Bower's book as this being the case.

"Pretty soon non-collectors won't remember that quarters used to look like this." This will be the case in the not-so-distant future.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05