Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cancelled CC Mint Sample?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 3,427Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2011  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Learn More...
United States
16455 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2011  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not count on this being legit.
swcoin.ecrater.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
1150 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2011  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen these done before. Since the die was canceled, I believe it is legal. They are selling it as what it is; a cancelled die strike, and a gold coin on a silver planchet, at that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2011  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen the silver dollars that were struck with the cancelled dies, they were really interesting and sold by the mint to raise money for the museum. I believe they could have done trial stikes with other dies. I just wish I had bought the dollars when I saw them.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Learn More...
United States
16455 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2011  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. I have never seen these before but did see the cancelled dies at the CC Mint Museum.
swcoin.ecrater.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2011  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More info from an auction dated 3/16/11
Carson City,NV - Ormsby County - 1999 - Carson City Mint Cancelled Die Strike Collection :

Image 1 : Carson City,NV - Ormsby County - 1999 - Carson City Mint Cancelled Die Strike Collection :

NOT SOLD (BIDDING OVER)
0.00USD+ premiums, taxes, fees & shipping
This item was NOT SOLD, auction date was 2011 Mar 16 @ 10:00UTC-7 Item Description

This lot contains the sample cancelled die strikes from the Carson City Mint. In the late 1990s the Carson City mint wanted to attract attention to its revamped coin show and wanted something exciting for their raffle to draw in coin collectors. They decided to strike silver bars with cancelled dies from the mint vaults. The first years -1884 Morgan silver dollar, face and Reverse. -"CC" Reverse Seated Liberty dime. -Inset Five Dollar 188x Gold piece.
The second years grand prize was a 10oz Faberge silver bar displaying two strikes of cancelled "CC" mint dies. This bar displayed the cancelled 1876-CC Seated Liberty Silver Half Dollar obverse & Reverse dies side by side.
Some of these samples were from dies that were later used for the silver bar grand prize and some were from dies that were never used. There are also sample cancelled die strikes from rusted dies that were dug up from the field adjacent to the mint while putting in the new mint parking lot. Workers brought the dies to the mint museum and the mind had Don Schmitz clean them to find out which dies they were. Through cleaning and striking samples Don discovered they were Trade dollar dies from 1877 as well as a half & quarter die. Eight of those sample strikes from the discovered rusted dies are in this collection.
Struck as samples were two sided cancelled die strikes to be raffled and sold in a small quantity. A two ounce silver planchet with the Morgan dollar 1884 cancelled obverse and the 1878-CC reverse and an 1876-CC Seated Liberty half dollar struck obverse and reverse by cancelled dies. The cancelled 2oz silver Morgan dollar strike was chose and 170 were struck. Only the original examples of the two sided Seated Liberty half dollar cancelled die strikes were ever struck.
Also struck but never sold were a one ounce silver Morgan struck by 1884 obverse and 1878-CC reverse cancelled die strike. A one of a kind 1oz silver cancelled 1884 Morgan obverse with the reverse Faberge with a beautiful design. The other two sided cancelled die strike is an octagonal bronze planchet with the 1884 Morgan obverse and the 1878-CC reverse.

1) 1884-CC obverse Morgan dollar canceled die strike 1oz size bronze struck one sided.
2) 1878-CC reverse Morgan dollar canceled die strike. Small CC mint mark and concaved breast make this an 1878 reverse. *Both obverse and reverse Morgan dies are on display in the CC mint Museum.
3) 1oz octagonal bronze medallion stuck by 1884 canceled obverse and 1878 CC canceled reverse.
4) 1883-CC obverse $5 Gold Liberty Head Half Eagle canceled die strike. This sample strike is on a bronze half eagle round.
5) 1876-CC obverse $5 Gold Liberty Head Half Eagle canceled die strike. This sample strike is on a silver round.
6) 1876-CC obverse Seated Liberty half dollar canceled die strike. This sample strike is one sided and on a silver planchet.
7) 18(76)-CC motto over eagle Seated Liberty half cancelled die strike. This sample strike is one sided reverse only on a silver planchet.
8) 1883-CC $5 Gold Liberty Head Half Eagle cancelled die strike. This sample is strike one sided obverse on a silver planchet.
9) Error. Obverse 1883-CC $5 Gold Liberty Head Half Eagle cancelled die strike in pewter. Reverse had a full mirror image from a brockage over strike. This pewter round was put in the anvil over an already struck cancelled die strike (underlying struck coin much harder, probably silver).
10) 1884 Morgan cancelled obverse and 1878-CC cancelled reverse on silver 1oz planchet. Very few struck on 1oz silver with cancelled die strikes. Coiner Don Schmitz struck less than 50.
11) 1884 Morgan obverse cancelled die strike on 1oz silver planchet. Reverse Faberge after strike. Schmitz had only a few of these Faberge.
12) 1876-CC $5 Gold Liberty Head Half Eagle obverse canceled die strike struck on silver with a deep cupped strike on planchet.
13) 1878-CC reverse Morgan dollar cancelled die strike on strip of square pewter. This is the original sample strike, one of a kind.
14) One Dime-CC reverse cancelled die strike on square strip of silver. Original sample strike, one of a kind. One sided.
15) 188(3) $5 Gold Liberty Head Half Eagle cancelled die strike in nickel. Thin planchet struck without collar. One sided.
16) 188(3) $5 Gold Liberty Head Half Eagle cancelled die strike on large bi-metal planchet. One sided.
17) 1877 Trade dollar rusted cancelled die strike. Die dug up from Carson City mint parking lot. Rusted dies were cleaned up and struck on pewter, parts of date and stars can be seen along edges. This obverse strike is from Trade dollar die No.1.
18) 1877 Trade dollar rusted cancelled die strike from die No. 6.
19) 1870-78-CC Seated half dollar rusted cancelled die strike from die No. 33.
20) 1870-78-CC Seated Liberty quarter dollar rusted cancelled die strike stuck from die No. 10.
21) Bronze octagonal planchet struck by 1877 rusted cancelled Trade dollar die No. 1.
22) 1877 Trade dollar rusted cancelled die strike on 1oz silver CC planchet.
23) 1877 Trade dollar rusted canceled die strike struck from die No.1.
24) 1870-77-CC Seated half dollar rusted cancelled die strike on golden planchet struck from die No. 45.
25) 1884 Obverse and 1878-CC reverse cancelled die strikes on 2oz silver round. Only 170 struck at Carson City Mint.
26) 1876-CC Seated half dollar obverse and reverse cancelled die strike. Only 4 samples struck.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 3,427Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: