Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Of Hands: Any Classic Pattern Collectors?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I apologize SsuperDdave, truthfully until you mentioned resurrection I didn't notice the last posted date. Not sure about census my father gave it to me when I got married. Every major event in His/my life he would give me a rare coin since I was seven. As to importance and value, I understand, I turned down an offer last year that made my wife think I'm crazy, but my only obsession is collecting, every moment my kids and employees leave me at peace I'm at it.

No big thing; at least you stayed on topic.

Assuming your first coin is actually J-4 (I'm 99% sure), there are 8 known. The finest of them, a PCGS MS65, is valued at around $2 million. Yours doesn't look a whole lot worse. That's why I was asking how clear you were on the importance of that coin....an example not currently known in the census would probably be the numismatic find of the year.

And your J302 is even rarer....of far lesser value, as the Birch Cent occupies a unique spot in American numismatics, but a heck of a piece either way.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add THEKID13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey again, actually the 1792 I posted is a J-3 plain edge, sorry, I was a little slow last night when posted. Here is a pic of the edge for clarity.

Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LowLife to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! some nice coins TheKid13!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome TheKid13 those are a couple of awesome pattern coins. It's a wonderful that your dad shared them with you.

A copy of "United States Pattern Coins" 10th Edition will have to do for me, at least for now.

-MV
Pillar of the Community
Sweden
728 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add epikur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WAIT? There are only 2 J3's known according to uspatterns.com, one of which is in a PCGS holder...
http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/11008

is this a 3rd one? or has the 2nd one surfaced on CCF?
Edited by epikur
01/08/2014 7:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WAIT? There are only 2 J3's known according to uspatterns.com, one of which is in a PCGS holder...

Well, it's not the PCGS coin, which has spotting. This, then, would have to be the example described only as "Uncirculated" and formerly in the collection of J. Hewitt Judd himself.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LogPotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either I am completely astonished, or am being completely duped (with only 4 posts, I have my reservations...sorry). Coins this rare do not usually just turn up from random posters on a coin forum. Before anymore glove touching, may I recommend doing the coin community a bit of service by getting these rarities in any...ANY top tier TPG holder to preserve their state. It's about the best protection you can give them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5851 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THEKID13

Is is just me or does the birch cent look somewhat off? The bust looks a little bit different from pictures of other birch cents that I have seen in books and the J3 from PCGS coinfacts. The edge seems unusually sharp and reflective to me. This is not something that I am really familiar with and hope that your coin is the real deal.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a J-160 original 1854 proof large cent in NGC PR-65
Cool! Is that one a DDO as well? I see strong doubling in the portrait, but none in the date...which is indicative of a DDO.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4916 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is is just me or does the birch cent look somewhat off? The bust looks a little bit different from pictures of other birch cents that I have seen in books and the J3 from PCGS coinfacts.

First thing I thought as well. The details of the coin are very crude.

Edited by Canadian-Banknotes
01/09/2014 12:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2014  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am by no means an expert in patterns, but there are very clear differences in the comparison of the two coins. The curves of the foreheads and hairlines are vastly different, as are much of the hair. The sharpness of the edge photo looks to me like it was struck in a collar, which I do not think would be the case?
Pillar of the Community
Sweden
728 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2014  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add epikur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, side by side, Thekid13's looks a bit more rough in the details, in the lettering, leaves, star and berries.

I'm much calmer now :P
Pillar of the Community
861 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2014  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add g048406 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The font size and style on the 1/100 reverse fractions are different
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05