I was looking at bidding on this key ASE, but noticed something odd on the reverse at the tip of the left wing. http://coins.ha.com/itm/modern-bull...-dailystatus It's not immediately noticeable, but looks like a dark area in the slabbed picture. The picture of the coin alone just shows the mirrored surface in this area. I then looked at NGC's verification. http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/i...=3324426-002 In NGC's picture, it looks milky. What do you make of it?
I'm calling that purely an artifact of their imaging process. You can see similar areas on the obverse. The coin is reflecting things in its' environment at the moment of shooting. Black and White Proofs are a total bear to image properly. NGC had a similar problem with different surroundings, and this has given me a bit of insight into their techniques. I suspect Heritage is closely shrouding their subjects, and using lighting which is physically tiny.
There are a bunch of scratch marks on that slab. I can see they're scratch marks because the images appear twice parallel to each other. Can't tell about the smudges though. You'd have thought that whoever had that coin would have taken better care of the slab.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use