| Author |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,007 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2260 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
62064 Posts |
It may have been a chip, but it looks like the plating wore of during circulation.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4932 Posts |
|
|
Moderator
 United States
56855 Posts |
Yup,die chip. John1 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1609 Posts |
Looks cool, especially when you zoom in like that. Are you using a camera on a microscope? I'm asking because I'm in the market for one.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2260 Posts |
I am using a scope. Don't remember the brand name but this is what it looks like. Had it for a couple years and haven't had any problems with it. 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
62064 Posts |
What do you use as a lighting source?
Do you have an issue with unwanted light? (secondary lighting)
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2260 Posts |
The scope has adjustable LED lighting. I also have a Dollar Store battery operated dual LED light. I put a coffee filter on one, the other is plain. There is a window that gives me some unwanted light in the middle of the day. Crude set up but seems to work (or does it?). I use one light or all depending on what I am trying to show or what I'm trying to look at. 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
62064 Posts |
You could probably figured out which direction the unwanted light was coming from and block it with an open hard back book (that would make portable) or tape some white paper in a half circle to diffuse the light as it come in. You might put some dark paper or material on the base to keep light from reflecting upwards. Do you take you images off the coin tube roll? If so, you could bet an old pharmacy bottle like and glue that to the top of the tube to make a bit more room. Put dark material on the lid and you could shoot from there. You could also make a ramp with a 2X2 to direct might reflection of light into the microscope tube.  Light from the source onto the coin and up into the scope barrel. On my setup the wider end of the ramp need to be in the correct position as it will make the images dark. But when you get it set at the right angle (turning it a bit) you will find the sweet spot and the coin will glow. That is what I can see as something I would do to make you system better. Does the scope adjust on the computer? If not how do you adjust it?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2260 Posts |
No unfortunately I have to manually adjust on the scope, which is kind of a pain when getting close-up images, cause the scope moves. The knurled part at the bottom of the scope get's me in the ball park. The fine tuning is the done with the knurled part at the top, where the cable comes out. The is a zoom feature that I can control from the keyboard, but I very seldom use it because of the pixation. I will try playing around with the ramp idea and see what I can do. I thought about investing in a camera for images, but I don't think the wife would understand.
|
| |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,007 |
|