Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Sintered Planchet Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,267Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  9:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I've read all I could find about sintered planchets and annealing errors. From what I understand, there can't be a sintered cent because the planchet was either made of copper or copper plated zinc. Looking at this coin, I'm assuming it's just a plating flaw? (The copper is oddly red, and acetone does not remove the dark bits on the coin.) I crossed out zinc rot since there's none of the plating bubbling associated with that, and the bit of zinc peeking through doesn't look oxidized.

Basically, I just want to know if I can peel away at this cent, or if it's worth saving. Thanks.

Sintered-Planchet-Cent?

Sintered-Planchet-Cent?
Pillar of the Community
CoinMasters's Avatar
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like missing plating to me, from PSD. You could keep it, I think you'll find his beard is going to grow. lol
Pillar of the Community
CoinCollector2000's Avatar
United States
2563 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, but corroded and damaged
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34561 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just want to know if I can peel away at this cent, or if it's worth saving


Peel it then spend it!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Rest in Peace
Crazyb0's Avatar
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Druu, peel it then see how long before it really begins to disappear!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2017  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm torn between throwing on ebay for 99 cents as a laugh, peeling it to see how much I can get off the obverse, or trying to find a solvent that will eat away the zinc and leave me with a copper shell. Btw Crazy, did you actually get the B mintmark " War Nickel"? I remember seeing that someone found it CRHing.
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cents are softened. So it can't be that. Look more like a stain. Save your money, it is worth one cent. Spend it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums