Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1876 S Type 2 Seated Half Dollar, Grade & Should I Send In For Crossover?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,670Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Heymikep's Avatar
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  4:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I just received this coin and it is in an ANACS holder and is straight graded. My question is what would you grade it and I would like to crossover to PCGS. My issue is with the obverse shield, it has some scratches and wondering if PCGS would detail the coin?
1876-S-Type-2-Seated-Half-Dollar,-Grade-&-Should-I-Send-In-For-Crossover?
1876-S-Type-2-Seated-Half-Dollar,-Grade-&-Should-I-Send-In-For-Crossover?
Edited by Heymikep
08/18/2020 4:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Coinfrog's Avatar
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55.
Pillar of the Community
GMS5's Avatar
Canada
1560 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin, I do believe that they would detail the coin for those scratches.
Pillar of the Community
Greasy Fingers's Avatar
United States
7333 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-53
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Zurie's Avatar
United States
5720 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Zurie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say a nice XF-45, and I don't think the scratches are enough to detail it. If you try a crossover at PCGS, you could always specify not to cross it over unless it straight grades.
Pillar of the Community
Ty2020b's Avatar
United States
4680 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 for me.
Pillar of the Community
Numis-Northerner's Avatar
Canada
857 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say EF-46, in my experience PCGS tends to over grade Seated coins in circulated condition, so I would guess that they would go AU-50, but I've seen some more recent examples of them being a bit stricter with circulated stuff, so who knows. I personally am more inclined to agree with ANACS though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
panzaldi's Avatar
United States
18924 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 reverse a little nicer
Pillar of the Community
Ploopy's Avatar
United States
1789 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45
Pillar of the Community
Heymikep's Avatar
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little more background on this coin. It is a Type 2 Reverse and is a WB-42 die marriage. Gerry Fortin currently has on his site and is graded by PCGS as an AU53 with a list price of $4,000.
Here is what Bill Bugert says in his Register of San Francisco Half Dollar Varieties book about this die marriage,

Quote:
This die marriage is rare and popular for the introduction of the new reverse hub. Estimates of
known coins vary but all seem to have a population of around 50. All known high grade coins have
some proof-like surfaces on the obverse, reverse, or both leading some numismatists to believe this
variety was specially struck to commemorate the nation's Centennial celebrations. Currently, I know
of no facts to substantiate this claim.
Pillar of the Community
USSID18's Avatar
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
BH1964's Avatar
United States
10982 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few buyers would pay up for a die marriage specialty on this piece. Gary's $4,000 asking is, shall we say optimistic. No 1876-S Seated half in AU has ever brought over $500.

As to your coin, XF45 sounds fair. I bet PCGS would cross it as an XF.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Heymikep's Avatar
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BH1964 I would agree, very optimistic!

I forgot to show what ANACS grade is for this.
1876-S-Type-2-Seated-Half-Dollar,-Grade-&-Should-I-Send-In-For-Crossover?
Bedrock of the Community
BH1964's Avatar
United States
10982 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2020  12:25 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to get an XF40 at PCGS. It's already been net-graded a bit for the old scratch.

If it weren't for the blue holder I'd leave it alone but those old ANACS blue holder were from a bad era in ANACS history.
ANA #R3154474
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,670Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Forums