Hi I'm a noob but always interested in learning. Anyway I've got this 53D Wheat penny that I thought might be a Cud error but the malformations are all over not just the sides and its discolored almost like two different metals. I'm hoping y'all can help me identify if this is a true mint error and if so,what kind and is there any value to it. Don't think its glue but I'll upload some more pics
I've come across similar before--seemingly reaction to environmental agents and glue residue (where glue has 'masked' portions of the coin's surfaces). In my experience, acetone has had little if any effect with this particular instance. Now if the glue/adhesive was still caked on the coin, that would be a different story. Anyway, give acetone a try. Can't hurt.
It looks like at one time, there was glue and was on it for a long time. When the glue was removed, then the original surfaces were under the glue. Now the coin is circulating with two different surface events showing on this coin. Nothing special now, but just two colors from the exposed/unexposed time while circulating. (One is surface color is best, unless it is a woody.)
Not a mint error. Mostly likely glue that's come off from circulation, exposing the surface to different conditions. Value only as a novelty, no premium to speak of.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use