This die was heavily abraded in mostly one direction, making it kind of unusual. The mark coming off below the B of LIBERTY is so heavy it looks more like a gouge than a scratch. Then there is the lamination issue on the obverse, and a small struck through rim burr on the reverse. Nothing too amazing, but a lot of action on one coin.
1949-S Lincoln Wheat cent mint error - lamination + struck through rim burr
You're welcome! Always happy to put up stuff I find either worth looking at or of educational value. I go through so many errors and varieties that it's pretty easy to select a couple fun ones to post while not bothering everyone with the endless minor stuff.
Nice looking lamination. I like lams. Do you think that might be mint grease on the reverse between the O and EPU?
I think I remember hearing collectors back in the day would consider these damaged coins and not worthy of collecting. EDS, no issues, and creme de la creme was what they were after.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Between the O and E PLU. First, that is the area opposite a high point on the obverse, so it is typically lightly struck and/or a grease trap. Here, It has a light "nicky" pattern so I'd suggest that it was just not fully struck there. As for the discoloration, it might have been grease at one point as something was apparently stuck there, but now it is just a toned bit of the coin's surface.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use