Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1943 Nickel No Mint Mark PMD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 7,381Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10284 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the 48 is a neat coin. That reddish color is a sort of oxidation and it appears the damage or alteration was done a long time ago in the nickels life.
Personally I would value it as a worthy novelty being it is not a recent tampering. Not from what I can see.
Pillar of the Community
Indian1's Avatar
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2011  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I copied that pic. and blew it up and checked every angle
by rotation and I believe that it is a 3 and not an 8
If you look at the 8 and 3 horizontally you will notice that
the upper loop on the 8 (left side of it) is parallel with the right edge of the 4 on a normal 1948. This digit hooks
down and to the left like the 3 normally would. Just what I noticed anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10284 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I compare to a 1948 ... Looks pretty much the same as a 1948 to me.
The light angle on the 1948 even makes it look like a 1943. Maybe this is not even altered and in hand it will be a photographic illusion. Maybe the rest of the 8 is still there but darkened.


1943-Nickel-No-Mint-Mark-PMD?
Pillar of the Community
jasper62's Avatar
United States
2189 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lights + camera = Illusion Well darn it! I was hoping I had something good.I guess I should have waited till I received it then I would have seen the 8 plain as day.Well almost.I had to put a loupe on it to verify what it was.In hand It still looked like a 3 but with the loupe it told me the truth. Sorry about the false alarm


1943-Nickel-No-Mint-Mark-PMD?

1943-Nickel-No-Mint-Mark-PMD?

1943-Nickel-No-Mint-Mark-PMD?
Pillar of the Community
specksynder's Avatar
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, now we know "the rest of the story."
Bedrock of the Community
Earle42's Avatar
United States
10065 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need to apologize for a false alarm - this is how we all learn
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
jasper62's Avatar
United States
2189 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the comments and analyses.I wish indian1 was correct " that would have been Sweet" but wheezydog nailed it.Happy face awarded
Pillar of the Community
Indian1's Avatar
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An optical conclusion :)
What a difference a day makes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10284 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh I wish it were a no mintmark 1943 but alas ... It was exciting though.
Thanks for the fun topic.
  Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 7,381Next Topic
Page: of 2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Forums