Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Carving

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Australia
216 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2012  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter S Thomas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guys,

As I understand it defacing Australian currency is a breach of the law, but as Enworb said, It would be a rare day for the boy's-in-blue to come knocking on your door.
Even taping up a torn note is against the law.

The law relates to the current circulating currency, Pre-Decimals are not covered by this, so Trout's 27 florin, while a shame in my opinion, is not against the law. (The 27 florin is one of Australia's best designs all-time.)

Cheers
Peter
Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2012  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

when I received my coin from USA they were in single plastic bags with a note reading
"" cutting coins for jewelry is perfectly legal "" unquote
so I believe it is legal as long as it is making jewelry only ..

,, kel ,,
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5829 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2012  06:34 am  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
richard , what do you charge to do the au dollar and the au .50 . please.. ,, kel ,,

I normally trade for 50 Cents face in US silver per coin. so that's about 0.3869 oz per cut coin.

I don't have either of those coins available at the moment. but if you want to send me a couple I can cut them and send them back. If you are happy with them then feel free to complete the trade. Just be aware I have a full time Job and it can take several months before I am in a position to finish a coin.
Richard Barnes
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Face Book https://www.facebook.com/Numismatic.Jewelry/
Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2012  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
richard , thanks for your reply.
i have bought my saw and 140 blades as I am going to try and cut a few for myself as a new part time hobby ,they look pretty good ,the 5 I have bought so far .
thanks for the reply .. ,, kel ,,
Australia
42 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add notcb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kel,

You might want to consider the following information from the RAM site. I certainly wouldn't be advertising the fact that you POSSESS a significant number of defaced CURRENT currency coins.

"Defacing, destroying or altering Australian currency coins

It is a criminal offence under the Crimes (Currency) Act 1981 (Cth) to deface or destroy current Australian currency coins. It is also an offence to sell or possess current coins that have been defaced. Defacing a coin includes coating the surface of the money with any sort of material. The penalty for defacing coins , or selling or possessing money that has been defaced, is $5,000 or imprisonment for two years for an individual (or both), and $10,000 for a body corporate. You may also be guilty of the offence of making counterfeit money if you alter a genuine coin.

The destruction or alteration of designs used on coins may also infringe the right of the author of the design not to have an artistic work subject to derogatory treatment. The author's rights to 'integrity of authorship' are protected under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth). If you do something in relation to an artistic work that is prejudicial to the author's honour or reputation, a court can order you to stop the infringing conduct, make a public apology, or pay damages to the artist. "

Cheers

Peter (notcb)
Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks peter ( ,notcb ,) hard to believe it is legal to do this as you say , but the guy I get them from is andy jenkins from silverton near broken hill in nsw.
he asures me he has permission from the fed gov to do so , he is the only man in australia to do with approval from the fed gov and he has a shop in silverton where he works from and does a roaring trade with tourist travelling around in the bus loads .and also tourist travelling by cars also..following is a dollar I got from him and also his card for his advertising his products ,..

,, kel ,,
Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i believe this is enough to cover me ,and I believe I have no crimal offence to answer to.
also his work is so much better then that done to the same coin over in the usa .. ,, kel ,,

Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just can not get a good picture of the dollar ..

addeding to my previous statement
the coins must be fashioned for jewelry and must have a chain attached at all times..
,, kel ,,
Valued Member
Australia
216 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter S Thomas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I think I see what is happening here.

Your dollar is not a dollar.....

Let me explain, it is the size, shape, design of the Aussie dollar, but it is not the same material as the dollar.

Thus it is not currency, so the law relating to defacing the currency does not apply.

Now copyright, this is probably what Andy has permission to replicate. So once again no problem here, move along please.

Edit to explain the move along reference to the joke, I was not trying to be insulting.
Edited by Peter S Thomas
10/16/2012 12:53 am
Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2012  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok peter ,
thank you for the explanation ..
all is good now ..

,, kel ,,
Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2012  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
got my other coins from the USA today , very nice

,, kel ,,
Edited by keldaw2222
10/23/2012 05:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2809 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2012  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Are the majority of these carvings performed using a programmable or a manually guided laser?

Or are other means utilized which do not involve lasers as cutting tools?

mdpmedia
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5829 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2012  09:25 am  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small drill and jewelers saw in my c ASE
Richard Barnes
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Face Book https://www.facebook.com/Numismatic.Jewelry/
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2012  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It must take a tremendous amount of practice and skill to be able to do this with a drill My hands would never be steady enough.
Valued Member
Australia
428 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2012  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keldaw2222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no laser used at all ,small drill is only used to drill small hole to put the blade through to start the sawing ..i am just starting to do it myself , but breaking a lot of blades , no 6 like hair , too small , I need no 3 or 4 I think so I am waiting on my new supply of blades now , work is done using a fret saw , some guys then have the coin dipped in gold or silver ,i have my dollar,s dipped in 24 c gold , looks nice but cost more for that ..
,, kel ,,
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05