Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ideas For Collection/Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2013  5:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add aalmcc4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to the coin game. I've been into coins almost a year now and after a cursory "education", I'm ready to start a set, of some sort.

I got into coins because of my love for history. I am presently very interested in the Depression era and just prior to the Depression...the 20s. Basically, 1919-1941. In fact, I'm reading a few books about the era at the same time. Anyhow....

What ideas could you more experienced collectors offer for ideas for sets? My budget is pretty much up to $250 each or so for the more expensive coins in the set. Could be more here and there (mostly less), but I'm not willing to spend upwards of $750+ for a coin.

A few I thought of were depression era Buffalo nickels in lower MS grades, from 1929-1938 OR Mercury dimes from 1929-1940 mid MS. Depression era Lincoln cents from 1929-1940. That kind of thing.

Any suggestions for maybe a set of all coins minted in a particular year? I thought maybe 1929, but there's no dollars and 1929 Walkers seem pretty pricy. Or maybe all coins minted in a particualr Presidential administration in that era?

Anyone do a similar set? Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Also, adding some notes from the same era would be neat too?!

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2013  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgettings00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High grade type set?
Of all the major varieties of coins minted during those years you stated. And you can look at the commemorative halves too.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12476 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2013  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While its not directly the depression I think doing a year set for the last year before and first year after could be a nice addition to it as well. Being able to see the last coins made before and the first ones made after seems like a nice bookend to whatever you do inbetween to me.

Like mentioned above I love the idea of a type set for those years which you could expand and add more for any of the series you really like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2013  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All coins in a certain presidential administration is an interesting idea... I'll have to think on that one. As for year sets, if you consider the Depression going from 1930 to the mid 40s, I think a 1943 P-D-S set is a great one to assemble. You can get all the coins in MS or high AU affordably, but the silver nickels and steel cents really stand out. That set would have Walking Liberty halves and Mercury dimes, giving it a nice look.

A complete set of Walking Liberty halves is a nice one to assemble. There are 3 keys (1938-D, 1921, 1921-D) and a few semi-keys (1921-S, the pre-1920 coins...). But they are all within your price range.

I am a big fan of nickels. You can put together a complete set of Buffalo nickels. Like with the Walking Liberty halves, you can do a cheap set cheap or a nice set for some money, and anything in between. For the buffalos, I would start with the most expensive coins, and use that to determine what grade you want for the rest of the set. For the Walking Liberties, you can divide that set into three groups: 1916-1932, 1933-1940 and 1941-1947. Each set can be a different grade range to make the set more feasible. I have a friend who has been assembling an MS set of Walking Liberties from 1933-47, and he has been stuck finding the last 3 coins in the grade he wants.

Standing Liberty quarters are another great, iconic coin, but I don't know how pricey they get.

You can assemble a very nice set of Peace dollars from 1921 - 1935 in MS they will all be in your price range. The keys are the 1921 (which is very affordable right now, in my opinion), the 1928, and the 1934-S (which is the priciest... you might start with this one to determine what grade you want for the rest of the set).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2013  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, here's a link to a topic about my 1943 year set:
http://goccf.com/t/126099
Pillar of the Community
United States
7050 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2013  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You just might be able to complete a set of two cent business strikes at $250.00 limit per coin, though the 1872 would be pretty low grade.

I think your idea of a depression era set of US coins is a great idea and would make a cool presentation.

There are a lot of sets that could be completed with your budget in mind, modern era nickel sets, Peace dollar set (already mentioned), Type set of 20th century (non-gold coins), type sets of odd denominations (excluding gold), Many date/year sets of a coin series. Some grading sets could also be acquired (ie: on of each grade slabbed for a particular denomination). Mint Mark set of a certain denomination, etc.

Good luck and keep us informed here at CCF!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/19/2013 7:37 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dlgilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good topic, I am in about the same situation. New to collecting and trying to decide upon a set to start collecting. Seems like there are subsets of large cents and many older coins that are more affordable than others. I hadn't thought of sets based on historical events (presidential era, depression era, and so on) but like the idea.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3533 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about assembling a 1923 year set? You have six denominations for that year plus a Monroe Commemorative Half; and, could add a "saddle blanket" or large $1 bill. Of course, the Walker is the most expensive coin, but perhaps the lower cost of the others would justify that cost?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am especially proud of my essay which may be found here:

http://goccf.com/t/149312

In it, I paint the Barber coins against a backdrop of history organized around which president was in office and which states were in the Union. To collect an historical set, not matter what events you choose to concentrate on,
is a very worthwhile goal. Let your imagination go free!

allmcc4,
Study the mintages of coins from the Depression Era. Notice how they dropped off. No demand
from commerce. That is your historical tie-in.
Come WWII, the demand for coins went up sharply. So did the mintages.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice essay.

You write good well.

If I'm up all night with that song running around in my head.....

Pillar of the Community
United States
5929 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have an interesting date selection to work from 1919 to 1941, twenty three years of coins. I suggest one coin for each year, 23 coins in all. The list will include:
Lincoln cents (available in each year listed)
Buffalo nickle 1919-1938
Jefferson nickle 1938-1941
Mercury dime 1919-1941
Standing Liberty quarter 1919-1930
Washington quarter 1932-1941
Walking Liberty half dollar 1919-1941
Morgan dollar 1921
Peace dollar 1921-1935
Quarter eagle 1925-1929
lastly there are 29 different commemorative halves dated from 1920 to 1938 that you could use too.

With planning you could assemble a collection of 23 different dates and 23 different types of coins in AU to MS condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1576 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with type collecting. That will get you sucked into the addiction. That "gateway" drug, I mean, collection will eventually spread like fire and you will be on your way. I have about 7 sets running uncomplete. Down to mostly keys. Everyone does it differently. My son is also Type collecting and has a set of wheat cents minus the keys 3 keys.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15916 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aalmcc4: to the CCF!
How about a type set of U.S. classic coins, most common dates in MS60, with lustre?
THAT would impress your friends!
Obviously such a set would be impossible to complete, but does that REALLY matter?
You can assign your own boundary around what you could consider to be a "set".

I LOVE the design of U.S. neo classic coins! All are miniature works of art.

I am not really into sets, although they can be fun.
Been there, done that.
I had a complete type set of Australian Pounds shillings and Pence coins 1910 to 1964. Sold many years ago, then started into ancient coins.

Why ancients?
I asked myself:
What series could I collect that would be impossible to complete?
Boy, have I learned a lot along the way!
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fusiafinch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with a 20th century type set. That's fairly easy and you can get some high grade classic coins. The 20th century saw the change from Indian Head cent s to Lincoln, from Liberty nickels to Buffaloes, from Barber dimes to Liberty dimes, from Barber quarters to Standing Liberty quarters, and Barber halves to Walking Liberty halves. Also Morgan dollars and Peace dollars. And that's just the first part of the century. Lots of stuff there. That would make a good starter collection that would easily fit your budget and also offer some nice key dates if you choose.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05