Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 Or 1975 Dime With No Mint Mark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  12:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add itchyplant to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is a 1974 or 1975 dime with no mint mark really worth anything

*** Staff edit: split these posts to its own topic ***
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add half n a half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nah, there were 470,248,000 and 585,673,900 of them made, respectively. Just another dime :)
Learn More...
United States
14029 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  04:26 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - a Philadelphia mint mark {P) was first added to a Susan B Anthony dollar in 1979, and were added to the other coins in 1980.

exceptions: War Nickels from Philadelphia had a large P on the reverse, and Cents made in Philadelphia have no mint mark.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ASLAN TVorlon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always found it funny that the Philly mint is so inconsistent and lets face it, Lazy, this year yes that year no, this coin yes that coin no...

Then there are the years they gave up on it, 1965, '66,'67 had no mint marks for any mint. Was it really just laziness, or did the mint think silver would come back and those years were not important due to lack of silver? (40% on the JFK's of course)

The elusive 1982 no mint mark dime is something to keep an eye out for, again laziness, someone forgot to set the die up right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ASLAN, in 1965-67, the San Francisco Mint was preparing to make proof sets, so they stopped circulation examples. I don't know what happened to Denver though
Pillar of the Community
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the 60s no mint mark years there were large coin shortages in circulation from people hoarding the older silver coins. To minimize the impact of people collecting coins via mint mark, they just deleted the mint marks from all mints so there was just one coin to collect thereby keeping more new coins in circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO ... The 1975 no mint mark dime, that everyone would like to find is th 1975 no "S" proof dime.
There are two known.
GoldRush58 - GR58
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15502 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2014  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philly inconsistant? For 149 years they didn't put a mintmark on any of the coins then from 1946 to 1978, 32 years they didn't put their mintmark on any of the coins. Since they started putting mintmarks on the five cent through doppas they have only missed it on one dime in 1982. Seems pretty consistant to me.

As for the lack of mintmarks 1965 - 1967, that was due to a severe coin shortage in the early 60's. They blamed coin collecters for it and said it was because they were hoarding large quantities of coins.. The governments logic was that if they left the mintmarks off collectors would be discouraged and hoard fewer because they wouldn't be hoarding each different mint. One of the real reasons for the shortage was because the silver coins were worth more than their face value for the metal and everyone was hoarding them. But they blamed coin collectors and they actually introduced legislation to make it illegal to collect coins or to sell a coin for more than it's face value
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2014  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not sure why but many just missed that your new. So for all of them:
As to your dine with no Mint Mark. Phily people thought it would cost extra to put one more letter on every coin. They thought they'ld have to hire someone that knew what a P looked like so they just ignored that addition for a while.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!
Edited by CoinCollector2000
01/30/2014 11:07 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05