Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1935 Connecticut Tie-In

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,551Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4781 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2014  11:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's taken me nearly three years, but with this post I've reached the 2,000 mark. I didn't envision reaching such a count when I joined CCF, but I've enjoyed my time here and hope I've added something of value to the conversation.

In my posts about US commemoratives, I've often illustrated items from my collection that are "beyond the coin." I enjoy supplementing the coins that I collect with closely associated numismatic material (e.g., medals), paper ephemera and philatelic items.

For post number 2000, I thought I'd share one such item...

Read More: Commems Collection

The 1935 half dollar to mark the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Connecticut Colony was just one of the early US commemorative coins that was joined by a companion US commemorative stamp.

The stamp depicts the iconic "Charter Oak" in a view that is very similar to the one used by Henry Kreiss for the half dollar. Kreiss used Charles DeWolf Brownell's painting of the Charter Oak as his design reference; it appears likely that Victor S. McCloskey, the stamp's designer, used the painting as well.

Historical Note: The "Charter Oak" was the name given to the tree in Hartford, Connecticut that was used to hide the colony's Royal Charter when an attempt was made by King James II (through his local administrator Sir Edmund Andros) to retrieve and revoke it.

The commemorative stamp was used on dozens of privately-issued first day covers; one could form quite a collection of FDCs pursuing nothing but!

Though I've looked at Connecticut Tercentenary FDCs for some time, it was only recently that I came across one issued by the Connecticut Tercentenary Commission - the sponsors of the commemorative half dollar. So, when I encountered the cover shown below, it was an easy decision to add it to my collection as an official tie-in to the coin.

You'll note that the depiction of the Charter Oak used for the cover's cachet is from the opposite side of the tree. I'm guessing that the artist responsible for the cover's artwork believed the opposing views of the tree would give the cover better visual "balance" - it works for me!

In addition to the FDC, I've also included an image of Brownwell's original painting and the obverse of one of my Connecticut half dollars for comparison; the coin's toning comes from its long-term storage in one of the original cardboard boxes used for its distribution.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/30/2014 11:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6879 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your 2000 post

Your contributions have been given in the greatest spirit of sharing ... many thanks for all the excellent writing!

Outstaring image of the first day cover. My knowledge of the stamp hobby is limited ... never knew that such a stamp existed.

Agree that the image is quite beautiful ... would definitely enjoy owning an example someday.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, thank you.
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a lot of info shared in 2k posts and I'm sure a lot of fellow hobbiests helped!

Side note: I would love to have one of those in my collection being a life long CT resident with ties that go back to the time just after the state was founded. I am nervous about eBay buying but I would think the chances of finding a fake for this coin would be low....do you agree?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9424 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful numismatic history lesson, commems! I'll be in line for your book when it becomes available!

And congrats on your 2k milestone.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on hitting 2,000 posts

I've enjoyed reading your informative posts on commemoratives, learned quite a few things I didn't know.

Keep up the good work

-MV
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8173 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!

Your posts are always entertaining and informative.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2014  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing! As a Connecticut Yank, it gave me flashbacks to my Elementary School days where stories about hiding the charter in the oak were first heard. A nice memory.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4781 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2014  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A quick update to my original post...

I recently came across another of the Commission's FDCs. I was immediately drawn to it by the addressee - George Godard, State Librarian. (Note the Return Address for the Commission.)

The State Library served many functions during Connecticut's Tercentenary celebrations and Mr. Godard was called upon many times to help prepare exhibits and provide research assistance regarding the state's 300 years of history.

Mr. Godard also served on the Committee on Historical Publications, the group that oversaw the publication of 60 booklets on various aspects of Connecticut history, "especially those which had perhaps not been sufficiently stressed in existing histories." (from the Commission's Report to the Governor).

I found the cover's provenance too historically important to pass up!

Just noticed the question posed above:

Quote:
I am nervous about eBay buying but I would think the chances of finding a fake for this coin would be low....do you agree?

In general, "Yes." The number of genuine Connecticut half dollars being offered on eBay dwarfs the very seldomly encountered fake. If you're ever in doubt about an offered coin, just post a link to it here on CCF and we'll do our best to offer some guidance.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
11/29/2014 10:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6879 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2014  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur indeed commems that this first day issue addressed to the State Librarian is a significant historical find - likely a one-of-a-kind find.

Amazing that it came available to you - the best of all collectors to appreciate it's provenance and significance.

Thanks for sharing the lovely addition.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2015  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeeG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrat's on 2K!!

It would be super if you could send me images of all your tie-ins for the series as an entry in my book project. Let me know also how to give you credit for them.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3441 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2015  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the wonderful wakeup read.
Another Nutmegger here.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,551Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05