Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time To Retire The Roosevelt Dime?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread is veering uncomfortably into politics.

This is not a place to discuss the pros or cons of political figures.

Can we please not do that? Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2014  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OcalaFlorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

they need to find a modern day model like Audrey Munson who modeled for both the Mercury dime and the Liberty half dollar.

2 minutes and photoshop

Edited by OcalaFlorida
10/27/2014 9:34 pm
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goobot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for the issues about rounding, it works both ways. If the 5 and 1 cent coins were to be eliminated final totals 5 cents and under from the nearest dime would be rounded down and those 6 cents and above rounded up. In the whole scheme of things it all evens out in the end. Other countries, such as Canada, that have eliminated small coinage have done this and it works just fine.

I don't think they would eliminate the 5 cent piece soon, the penny could (should) be gone this decade.
Except nothing is 91,92,93, or 94 cents. It's all 95,97,98, and 99 cents. You would only be paying hundreds of dollars more per year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Except nothing is 91,92,93, or 94 cents. It's all 95,97,98, and 99 cents. You would only be paying hundreds of dollars more per year.

Except that most of the time there is sales tax, multiple items etc that, again, most of the time causes the FINAL purchase amount to be a random number. It is this FINAL purchase amount that would be used for rounding. Bought a 99 cent candy bar? Paid 3 cents tax? Total price $1.02, rounds to $1.00, save 2 cents.

Also remember that this would affect CASH purchases ONLY. Credit, Debit and checks would remain at the exact amount.

Canada and other countries have been doing this for years now and there has been no discernible difference in the amounts paid by consumers as a whole and retailers have not been making more money.

Cash purchases are making up less and less of the total commerce these days, coins are used almost exclusively for making change. Eliminating the cent and even the nickel are inevitable and will simplify things while we wait for the death of all coins in circulation (it's coming...)

As for the design of the dime itself that started this thread I still think an allegorical design of Liberty is the way to go. The Winged Liberty design that preceded Roosevelt was a beautiful coin and would be a worthy successor.
Learn More...
United States
78553 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2 minutes and photoshop
Okay, I really like that!

Quote:
No, you will not.

Why? n9jig nails it!

People, stop spreading incorrect information!

I urge everyone who doubts us to pay attention to what they are spending, look at the totals on your receipts. You will see the last digit on each total will range from zero to nine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I'd like to see is eliminating the hundredths decimal place altogether, for both cash and debit/credit/electronic transactions. Eliminate the cent and nickel, and make the dime the smallest circulating unit of the dollar. The quarter would have to go too. So instead of something being priced at 19.99, it would be priced at 19.9 or 20.0. Instead of saying "forty cents" you would say "four dimes" (I know, wishful thinking). Just like sales/gas/etc taxes are already rounded to the nearest cent, they would be rounded to the nearest dime.

As far as retire the Roosevelt...I say go for it...and not replace him with another president, living or deceased. Lets have a fresh new Liberty design with artistic merit.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Edited by hcmusicguy
10/28/2014 12:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BigAppleBucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck
Bring back Liberty with a new design, not Mercury dime Redux.

Agreed. We need to go back to a liberty design on some circulating coinage. The dime is a good bet.

The political tug-of-war between Republicans (wanting to change the dime to Reagan) and Democrats not wanting to lose Roosevelt, probably will keep us from a change. That's why a change to a liberty design (politically neutral) might be possible.

I rather dislike many of the new coin designs, especially the Jefferson nickel and the shield cent. They are too simple.

The Mercury dime is about my favorite coin. Love the design, in part because it is not overly simple.
Edited by BigAppleBucky
10/28/2014 2:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they need to find a modern day model like Audrey Munson who modeled for both the Mercury dime and the Liberty half dollar.

2 minutes and photoshop

I like!
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Learn More...
United States
78553 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2014  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I rather dislike many of the new coin designs, especially the Jefferson nickel and the shield cent. They are too simple.
I do not think they are too simple on their own. The lower relief used today (a necessity for our high mintages) requires the designs to be flat. Imagine the new nickel obverse or shield cent with higher relief, some depth.

Compare any early President obverse with one from 2014.

Quote:
The Mercury dime is about my favorite coin. Love the design, in part because it is not overly simple.
Now imagine it in lower relief, flattened out. A travesty!

(I do apologize for putting that image in your head!)

That is exactly what we would get if they brought it back. I doubt any effort would be made to overcome what happens when rendering it in low relief.

Any new design of Liberty is going to have to account for the lower relief. The artist who pulls that off will be a numismatic hero!
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2014  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlbumAccumulator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any new design of Liberty is going to have to account for the lower relief. The artist who pulls that off will be a numismatic hero!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1676 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2014  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The lower relief used today (a necessity for our high mintages) requires the designs to be flat.

Of course there's a lot of truth in this but if the mint weren't so busy wasting their time and effort on less than worthless pennies and hard to coin 5c pieces then they'd have more time to slow the presses down a little so we could have higher relief.

It's lobbying that gives us low relief coins because it's rich people who lose when we do the right thing.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
78553 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2014  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course there's a lot of truth in this but if the mint weren't so busy wasting their time and effort on less than worthless pennies and hard to coin 5c pieces then they'd have more time to slow the presses down a little so we could have higher relief.
Well said. Another argument for eliminating the cent (and nickel) from circulation.

Quote:
It's lobbying that gives us low relief coins because it's rich people who lose when we do the right thing.
Truth.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6128 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2014  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I would like to see Liberty back on our coins.

I think when reality is known (aka. people do their own homework) there still is one man who could be worthy of being honored on a coin.

The problem is that, like Orwell's 1984, people are just not aware enough anymore of the actual US history of the last 50 years or so. Our media has been too busy telling us what they want us to hear instead of the actual motivations behind actions etc. (on both sides of the fence - but with a decided slant on one direction). As a former teacher I was appalled by what was being taught as "fact" in history books.

I shudder to think of what the perceived "facts" may introduce onto coinage of the future.

If we are to have another president on a coin, I would like to see Ronald Reagan. But this is b/c I am well aware of the factual horrors of communism, and know the Reagan is the main reason communism crumbled as a major world power in the USSR.
Reagan supported an arms race b/c he knew (as anyone familiar with how communism actualy works - not how it works on paper), would crumble when competing with American capitalism. A people working for themselves historically proves out to be more productive/innovative than labor forces in a dictatorship.

The falling of the Berlin wall is to Reagan's credit (and the Congress/Senate who would pass bills at the time), and is not only one of the greatest milestones for freedom of the 20th century, but also one of the most media-downlpayed-ignored events.

So if it is indeed an honor to be on coinage, actual history would put RR at the top of the list.

But again... let's go back to Liberty (and get artists of Frank Gasparo's ilk to do the engraving). I also like the REV of the dime, but think it could also use a change. The Merc had a similar looking REV (sort of), so the idea of a bisected REV has been around a loooong time. How about something altogether new?

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2014  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It'd be nice to freshen the dime. Political figures are to partisanship-inspiring to ever be approved. It'd be great to go back to a [newly-designed] allegorical figure and get some true art and beauty on our coinage to represent us.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05