Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Greatest Year For US Coins - Which Would You Choose?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  2:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lunch Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been wondering, if I could have a complete set of coins from any year in US history, which would I choose? There are so many things to consider - rarity of the coins, interesting designs, odd denominations, historical significance, etc.

I finally settled on 1916 for a number of reasons - the large variety of coins issued that year with the change over from the Barber coinage to the new designs, the rarity of the Type 1 SLQ, the Walking Liberty half being my favorite coin design of all time, and the knowledge that these were carried by soldiers going to Europe during WWI.

It made me wonder what year others would choose, as well. And even more interesting to me, is why you would choose that year.

If you want to join the discussion, just tell us what single year, 1776-2014, would you choose to have and why. Assume that it would be given to you by a magic leprechaun and doesn't cost anything , but it also isn't resellable, so do not consider actual resale value of the coins. I think this provides for a more interesting discussion of the merits of various years, beyond a strict modern dollar value.

Anybody with me on 1916?
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4185 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's when coins were first struck for use in the US.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

'64 Last of the Silver coins.

'76 for the IKE type one

Pillar of the Community
United States
7744 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I chose 1916. There is a huge variety in that year. I would have a second choice of 1907.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All great answers.

Of those thrown out there, I like 1916 and 1873 best.

Adding 1943 to the mix. The only steel coin with the steel Wheat cent. One of the few years with the silver War Nickel. Great designs on the other three coins. WWII era coins. What's not to like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You had the Mercury dime, SLQ, WLH, and both Morgan and Peace dollars.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would choose 1915.

As a commemorative collector, I would love to own a complete set of the silver and gold commemorative coins struck for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition held in San Francisco in 1915. The set includes a silver half dollar, a gold dollar, a gold quarter eagle and two varieties of a gold quintuple eagle ($50).

It would be nice to own the only $50 gold coins struck by the US (prior to the modern bullion coins).

Pillar of the Community
Puerto Rico
778 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junjun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I choose 1916. My second choice 1907 (Saint Gaudens high relief)
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good call on 1921.
Learn More...
United States
16270 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1793 for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1933 for me.....if you own that one year you could be rich...lol
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Necer149 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1849, gotta get that $20 liberty head...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1916 would be my first choice. I'm a big Mercury dime and SLQ fan.

I also like 1853 from just a design standpoint , which I am currently trying to get one of each denomination. So far I got a half dime, dime, and half dollar from that year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4733 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No love for 1853? I'm a big fan of Arrows & Rays reverse on the Seated Liberty coinage that year.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2014  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rarecollectibles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have to say 1921 as well. Still had the Mercury dime and two dollars in the same year.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05