Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1937 Easter Sunrise Services Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,543Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  09:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In March 1937, Representative Jed Joseph Johnson (D-OK) introduced a bill calling for commemorative half dollars "in commemoration of the Wichita Mountain Easter Sunrise Service of Holy City, Oklahoma."

The Easter service began in 1926 when Reverend Anthony Mark Wallock held his first presentation of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ at a site in the Wichita mountains new Lawton, Oklahoma. He had a cast of five and an audience of about 200. The presentation proved popular and grew in cast size and attendance over the ensuing years. In 1936, for example, the pageant was staged by 2,000 cast members and was watched by approximately 100,000! Its renown had grown to such a level by 1937, that the US Government saw fit to produce a full-length film of the performance. Approximately 225,000 people visited the site in 1939 to watch the performance - the largest audience it ever had.

As the pageant grew in popularity, Wallock's congregation worked to recreate portions of Jerusalem in the Wichita Mountains, with each structure created being one that was important in Jesus' life. The structures built were incorporated into the pageant.

Multiple online sources state that the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was involved in building the site's structures in 1934, 1935 and 1936. It's my understanding that the WPA came into existence via Executive Order signed by President Roosevelt on May 6, 1935 and that its projects didn't get started until July 1935. (Source: The Final Report on the WPA: 1935-1943)

This would make the WPA's involvement in the project in 1934 and early 1935 "difficult" at best. I'm thinking that the initial work on the site may have been done under grants from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) which was launched in May 1933. I need to research this further to know for sure, however.

To provide ongoing administration of the pageant and the recreated biblical site, an oversight organization was formed; the group created was the Wichita Mountain Easter Sunrise Service Association. In 1938, the group was officially registered as a non-profit.

Looking to raise funds for its popular attraction, the Association sponsored the proposed half dollar via Representative Johnson. The coin bill's language regarding the number of coins that could be struck is unnecessarily confusing. In one part of the bill it is stated that no more than 40,000 coins can be struck, while in another part it states that no fewer than 40,000 coins can be ordered and delivered at any one time. Seems to me this sets the minimum and maximum to the same number - why not just say 40,000 were to be struck?

All of the coins were to be dated "1937" regardless of the year they were struck. The date is not a milestone anniversary year for the pageant and appears to have little significance beyond the fact that it coincided with the year the film about it was produced. Maybe the Association, knowing the film was going to be made, wanted to create a souvenir that could be sold to those who watched and were inspired by it? At this point, that's pure conjecture on my part.

The bill didn't get very far in Congress; it was referred to the Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures and never reported out. The coin's religious connotations were very likely an obstacle to the coin's passage, as was the rather local nature of the event.

Today, the Association is known as The Holy City of the Wichitas and it continues to host the annual Easter passion play which is titled "The Prince of Peace" - 2015 marks the 90th year it has been presented. While the pageant comes only once a year, the site and its various buildings are open year-round and continue to attract thousands of visitors each year.

To those celebrating, Happy Easter!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding history lesson commems .. Many Thanks!

Fully concur that had this coin been issued it would have commemorated an event of only local significance - albeit many issues prior to 1937 bear the same connection with history.

Well stated for Easter Sunday!

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11032 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite propos for today!
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2015  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeeG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool info.

This is one I hadn't found.

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2015  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting story. I have never been there, but I am familiar with it. My dad lived in Wichita Falls, TX for a few years (somewhat local, at least the advertising market). Before that, my older brother was stationed at Fort Sill.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,543Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05