Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roll Of Gold Half Eagles

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16354 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how many half eagles would be considered to be a roll. For most denominations a bag was 100 rolls. 100 rolls of cents was $50, 100 rolls of nickels was $200, 100 rolls of quarters or halves was $1000. It didn't hold for dimes or dollars though, those were 200 rolls per bag for dimes and 50 rolls for dollars. Now a bag of quarter eagles was $5,000. If it was 100 rolls it would be a 10 coin roll, if it was 50 rolls it would be 20 coin rolls.

But when you are dealing with gold coins the 50 and 100 roll idea. Gold coins were $5,000 to the bag for any denomination and even at 50 rolls some of them would be some mighty small rolls.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
05/30/2015 09:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, thq...it shows just how much we have debased the dollar over the last 20 years. If you had kept the gold, it would pretty much have the same purchasing power now that it did twenty years ago. The purchasing power in dollar terms has definitely changed for the worse.
Edited by DoubleEagle20
05/30/2015 6:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's intentional doubleeagle. We debase the dollar to pay for things we can't afford as a nation. As I understand it we abrogated Bretton Woods and went off the gold standard to pay for Vietnam. Politicians that buck the devaluation wisdom have been punished at the polls.

Since gold and silver are better placeholders than fiat money, I've used stacks of accumulated coins as a piggybank to buy a lot of things, mostly better coins. In the case of my watch, it would take twice as many eagles to buy the same one today. So while the dollar has lost ground, nice watches have gained ground.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rynegold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ssk... that's a "british half eagle" or half dragon as it were. Those sneaky Brits!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7204 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2015  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last month I was on the EAC (Early American Copper) Heritage Auction house tour, (I posted this story elsewhere on CCF) we had a chance to visit their "Gold Room" a large room on one of the top floors of the Heritage Building, where they have their gold bullion wholesale part of the business. Something I didn't know, is Heritage deals in lots of wholesale gold bullion, to the tune of around a million dollars a day. They had a table set up with rolls of $20.00 Double Eagles on it, we got to hold a couple of the rolls, now I've seen lots of gold in my time, but I can't remember ever seeing that many Double Eagles at one time, there must have been several thousand of them stacked awaiting shipment. Impressive to say the least. Unfortunately and understandably no photos were allowed in the gold room for security reasons.

The most gold I've ever handled was 256 canadian Maple leaf 1 oz. coins that a customer had ordered through a coin shop I worked at. Had the fun job of counting and recounting them, back then it was a little over ninety thousand dollar deal (gold was around $350/oz then), I think we made about $1200 as a broker/handling fee. The entire pile of Maple Leafs fit onto a jeweler's tray. That much is 16 pounds of pure gold, I forgot that fact, and tried to pick up the tray after they were counted and stacked into piles of 10 coins, I raised the tray up about an inch before the bottom tore out and the coins stacks spilled all over the desk, necessitating me to recount and stack them on another tray. Opps, but in my defense I was used to doing that with dimes, quarter, and half dollars all the time.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2015  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice collection
Pillar of the Community
United States
9278 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2015  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Let us know when you get to 40.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
5156 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've added more half eagles and have upgraded my coin container from a paper nickel roll to a square poly tube. I was surprised to find that round clear-plastic nickel tubes are too narrow to hold my coins. For some reason the square tubes have a larger inside diameter. I still had to exclude my sovereigns and my 1836 Classic half eagle since they have a larger diameter than the Liberty and Indian coins.

Nevertheless, my total count in the roll is now 43 which includes one Canada 5-dollar piece. I've still got some room so maybe I'll eventually add a few more. Here are the current pictures:

Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aahz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang!

The best I could do is put together a bag with 30 pieces of silver. Really. Did it for an Easter play. The actor playing Judas got a real surprise when he threw it down and heard the sound of real silver in the bag!
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding roll of half eagles Jaobler.

Probably my favorite coin to collect is that $5 Liberty Head gold coin.

It is in a sweet spot price wise typically raw. The $2.50's have too much premium for my taste and the larger coins take up too much of my income to purchase regularly.

I really like that very worn 1866. Never seen one so worn ever. Great coin and great coins.

For anyone else out there wishing they could do something similar but don't have the funds for US gold coins, check out the small Mexican gold 2 or 2.5 peso coins. The LCS in town sells the 2 peso coins for $60 out the door. Maybe the size of a dime.
Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fancy, I wish I could afford that much gold.

You have about 10.4017 ounces of gold. At today's prices your roll is worth a total of $11,504.38.
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
Edited by CalzoneManiac
08/14/2015 10:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9193 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I missed this the first time around. I do remember Johnny countdown working on a roll. What a great homage!
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is truly awesome
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7790 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!

I guess it's time to start accumulating a tube of 25? $20s now. I wonder what size coin tube would be best for those?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05