Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Harriet Tubman Will Replace Andrew Jackson From The Face Of The $20

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 92 / Views: 8,201Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bryan78, you said it much better than I could have. I love your idea for the portrait on the reverse and agree with your position concerning the original motivation for the change.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54772 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Bryan, well said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever they decide on, I think it is important that all of the notes be the same; we can't have multiple different designs released in a single run for the same note that'd be a mess.

How about a compromise where from the left angle the portrait is Tubman and from the right it is Jackson. We can do this with modern holograms and it can be a handy security feature that is easily checked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3615 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is ironic that Andrew Jackson, famous for opposing and dismantling the US central banking system, is on a note issued by the US central banking system.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54772 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed ironic. Central banking was not re-established until the Civil War.
Learn More...
United States
96038 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is ironic that Andrew Jackson, famous for opposing and dismantling the US central banking system, is on a note issued by the US central banking system.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
609 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to a report by politico.com the new Biden administration is ramping up efforts to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 banknote.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/...-bill-462307
Learn More...
United States
96038 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be nice to have some fresh themes on our currency.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's exciting! I hope they go through with it. I don't collect currency but I would enjoy seeing a change in my pocket bills. New designs are always welcome to me
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2219 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good on you for shaking up the Pale, male, stale rule you have on your banknotes, all of your notes show old white men who died over 100 years ago.

Yet no African American people had the power or right to power back then, as much as I like Tubman on a note, she is not that well known. If they must put a Black person on a note, why not someone like Booker T Washington or Martin Luther King Jr.

My country New Zealand we got over diversity ages ago - In 1992 all our notes scuppered the Queen on every one and now we have.

$5 Edmund Hillary - White male mountain climber (Covers the "common man, Kiwi bloke" quotient)
$10 Kate Sheppard - White female suffragette (Covers the female quotient)
$20 The Queen - Keeps the Royalists and Traditionalists happy, plus the $20 is our most used and common note.
$50 Sir Apirana Ngata - Maori Male Politician and Civil rights leader. (Covers the race and humanitarian, man of the people quotient)
$100 Lord Ernest Rutherford of Nelson - Pakeha (White) Scientist (Covers the "Geek" quotient)

Despite my snarky comments, I am happy with these choices and the notes reflect the diversity and power of NZ society.

The Australians have done well too, their past two series of notes have depicted Aboriginals (Traditional and one who was a scientist), Women, Jews (Sir John Monash was Jewish), Scientists (Howard Florey), Poets (Banjo Patterson, Humanitarians (Edith Cowan), Performers (Dame Nellie Melba) and even a Convict (Francis Greenaway on the old $10 was a convict architect).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
01/25/2021 10:07 pm
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
as much as I like Tubman on a note, she is not that well known. If they must put a Black person on a note, why not someone like Booker T Washington or Martin Luther King Jr.

Though NZ could very well be different, growing up my history courses stressed Harriet Tubman's importance in the abolitionist movement, so I would argue she is a fairly well-known figure in the US. Also, the importance of finally including both a woman and an African-American on a bill can't be ignored

Admittedly, I know more about Tubman than Washington, at least from my schooling, and Washington has featured on two US coins in the past.

MLK would be a great choice as well, but I think Tubman is a better choice because she isn't so much the 'obvious' choice. MLK did incredible things, but at times it can almost feel like others who worked toward abolition and civil rights are overshadowed by his popularity.

I hope this doesn't come off too argumentative, I just thought you opened up a neat discussion
Pillar of the Community
United States
1736 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really doesn't matter a lot to me who is on the bills - I don't pay much attention to that aspect. They can put a donkey's posterior on them as long as I can get a big stack of them!

I suppose I would pitch a fit if something immoral or evil was on there, though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3032 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Similar to our new Vice President, with Tubman you accomplish two goals in one person. You get a woman and you also get a person of color.
Learn More...
United States
96038 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good on you for shaking up the Pale, male, stale rule ... as much as I like Tubman on a note, she is not that well known. If they must put a Black person on a note, why not someone like Booker T Washington or Martin Luther King Jr.
For what it is worth, I knew who she was before BTW, but not MLK.

Given these three choices, only one would not be described as a "male."
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't like the photoshopped note designs that have been shown by the media. Just replacing Jackson with Tubman? Not changing anything else? And using an, in my opinion, unflattering photograph of Tubman.

Does anyone know (I can't be arsed to Google it at the moment) how new note designs are approved? Is it similar to coins, a committee's involvement? Or does Janet Yellen (as the Secretary of the Treasury) just get to be all "Tubman on the $20, Jackson be damned. I said it, so shall it be"?

Can we just have a new Educational Series? I'm growing tired of hearing about Note changes. Whatever happened to the $10's redesign with Hamilton moving to the reverse? Wasn't it supposed to be released anyway, regardless of a portrait change, last year due to the lawsuit pertaining to blind people not being able to adequately differentiate the denominations?

Or just outsource our notes to a nation that can get things done?
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 92 / Views: 8,201Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05