Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is A PCGS Coin Removed From The Holder....

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
23103 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  08:53 am Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is a PCGS coin removed from the holder still considered a certified coin?

For example: 262692283340

"The PCGS holder was badly scratched so I carefully removed the coin." Apparently, if you buy this you get the PCGS PR67 label, too.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking that it no longer be considered a slabbed coin.

But then there are people that keep the labels for coins that
they break out for albums.

In some cases it would be nice to have the label.

Not sure if this is one. Proof 67 Franklin is common.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4727 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, once the coin has been removed from the TPG holder all bets are off....especially on a coin at a market place like eBay. The coin's insert means diddly squat once the coin is out of the holder.

If the Seller of this coin was so concerned about "scratches on the holder" he could have easily sent the slabbed coin to PCGS for reholdering.

Some people amaze me!
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeysanders627 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely not. How do you know that coin was in that holder? You don't. You only have the seller's word. There is no security with that purchase. For all you know, the seller may have switched coins and is selling you one of inferior quality at the PR67 price.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started my 7070 I planned to purchase some of the coins slabbed (just for my own protection against counterfeits etc.) and remove them to put in the album. I have done this in the past with a some (low grade) key date coins and not even bothered to keep the cert.
I have about convinced myself not to break them out as much as I would like to see the coins actually in the album as these coins are "nicer" ones.
As Joey has mentioned above once coins are out of the slab all bets are off when it comes to someone purchasing them on the other end.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If its removed from the holder technically its not slabbed anymore as far as I'm concerned in the instance when a coin is removed for an album I would keep the label cause you know what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly is not considered a TPG graded coin when removed and if it isn't already, it should be a violation of eBay listing rules to post the label.
Member SSDC, TNA
Edited by dave700x
10/30/2016 11:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2743 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once it's removed from the holder, and for any significant length of time thereafter, the odds are slim that the coin will remain in the exact condition it was in when graded. After all, you're taking a risk just cracking it. The coin will forever be changed instantly, and for the worse, if it is damaged during the "unholdering" process.

Quote:
It certainly is not considered a TPG graded coin when removed and if it isn't already, it should be a violation eBay listing rules to post the label.

Actually, I've never even thought about this, and I have to agree with you. I'm wondering now if a previous grade should even be mentioned in such listings.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
10/30/2016 11:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3323 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's sold as raw and against the rules to mention the prior grade.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was selling a coin like that I'd certainly mention it was in a holder at a specific grade. I've got several coins in my 7070 that were in holders and I've been careful with them so I know they are still at that same grade. But I wouldn't make it my main picture since you can't really prove this to people. I notice he doesn't list the grade in the title so he's ok there. I just don't know about highlighting the label like he did.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin itself is a solid 67. Although it's removal from the slab voids any TPG assurance, the coin itself is at the grade signified.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42735 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outside of holder = raw, old insert or not.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/30/2016 4:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2016  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It certainly is not considered a TPG graded coin when removed and if it isn't already, it should be a violation of eBay listing rules to post the label.

Pillar of the Community
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2016  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll keep the label from any slabbed coin going in to my 7070 and glue it neatly in a corner of the inside back cover of the album as a reference. It my personal provenance, not one I can assert to others once the coins been cracked out.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2016  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is a PCGS coin removed from the holder still considered a certified coin?
No.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7137 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2016  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking if there was a True View of it, you could at least see if it were the same coin, but there isn't, so......no!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05