Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help 1926 Peace Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2016  2:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Trickster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i have what appears to be a genuine 1926 s Peace dollar, pings nice weight is right,(a smidge heavy but not a good scale) the front is significantly glossier than the obverse. also part of the edge feels.. sharp. looking at it with a magnifier I noticed an edge almost like paint peeling off. it is silver beneath it though. do people try and silver plate silver to make it look newer? I thought of that because that little symbol below the neck seems less sharp but not due to wear if that makes sense.

any help greatly appreciated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2016  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, welcome to CCF. Second, please post pics of your coin. Being plated isn't a good sign, but we really need pics to better understand what you have.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2016  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Trickster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2016  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good close-up pic. Maybe you could also post an overall pic of the obv and rev?
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2016  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Trickster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

notice the difference in glossyness(not a real word) from front to back. it does appear to be cleaned the fine scoring, just curious really. this isn't for collecting or resale. but I think I may have caught the bug.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2016  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area of expertise but it looks like there is a clash visible above the eagle's right shoulder. While not a list-able feature, it may help with identification.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14576 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2016  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@trickster, sorry for going radio-silent for a little bit.

The surface of your coin may have been whizzed and so that could explain all of those fine lines. As far as being plated or not, that is harder for me to tell. I'm hoping that some others might weigh in as well. To increase the number of people who look at this thread, you could request to the mods that it be moved out of VAMs and into the plain US classic coin area.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
9256 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2016  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks harshly cleaned (and/or whizzed) and that damages the surfaces and can cause the obverse/reverse to appear very different (i.e. glossy vs matte). If you're concerned about it being genuine then put your mind at ease. It appears authentic and not plated, just cleaned.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! This coin was cleaned, sadly, It is a nice coin, and genuine.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2016  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

I have seen worse cleanings, but this one does look cleaned/wiped.

Coin shops would pay in the spot silver range for coins like this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2784 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2016  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're still looking for a VAM attribution on this, try VAM 4 or 4A. You can clearly see the extra berry on the reverse.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05