Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Usb Microscope Modification Thread

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1524 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2017  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow look at the die cracks on that coin. that is a very nice pic. great coin find as well
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I bought that 1887 IHC from a forum member. He mentioned the rim cuds, but it wasn't until I used the USB scope that I saw the die cracks (above the S in STATE).

Here's another IHC bought from a different forum member. It has a faint die clash on the obverse that is most visible as a curved line in front of the eyes and above the nose. I'm having trouble finding the right lighting to make it more visible. With the coin in hand and looking at it with a 10X loupe, I can move the coin around and find the right angle.

Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a hard time seeing it and I know where to look. Here is the same pic with red arrows to show the die clash.

Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2017  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said, the USB microscopes are great when you're doing close up work to document varieties/errors. Here is a 1867/67 IHC I just recently bought. Yep, looks like an overstrike on the 6 and 7. Coin was slabbed, so lighting is tricky to keep reflections off the plastic and to get the right angle to show off the doubling on the date.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2017  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What distance is the microscope from the coin in your IHC images here?
and ... Are you setting your resolution to the high setting?
Thanks
My favorite album!

Image hosting is provided by CCF.
Thank you for your generosity!

World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2017  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm running the scope down to about 1/4" away from the clear plastic lens protector. I once set the lens right onto the base, but I could not focus until I opened a tiny gap. Since then I decided not to get too close, so about 1/4" on the tight close ups.

EDIT: Yes, I use the high resolution setting. That way I have the ability to crop quite a bit without sacrificing image quality.
Edited by batboy
04/08/2017 2:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1289 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2017  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is this setting?

EDIT: Yes, I use the high resolution setting. That way I have the ability to crop quite a bit without sacrificing image quality.
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2017  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Murty, at least on the Celestron 5 mp Pro: open the software and click on the "option" pull down menu (upper top left of the window). Click on "resolution" which gives you 4 different setting options. I always use 5 mp. It's annoying that it defaults back to the low setting every time you close the capture program.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1289 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2017  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you...you have been a great help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2017  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to help a little. People on this forum have helped me a lot too.
Edited by batboy
04/29/2017 01:02 am
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add da Swampster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well ok then -- and h'lo..

Call me Swamp.. I'm revising this thread because I'm curious to see and hear about: a) updated info from TNG..

Your last pictured setup looks functional enough for personal inventory records if the 1831 $.50 is an example from that setup.. No real hot spots on matte finish and was probably easy enough to tweak that bit of yellow cast out..
How did it work on more proof-like finishes though..? Was it still alright, did you need to add another layer of diffusion where the lighting goes through or didn't it work at all with shiny items..?

It does look like it might be a bit of a PITA shuffling coins in n out though, or is the appearance of tightness due to camera angle..? Looks like you could trim back those neck points a bit and lower the top part of the 'legs' some while maintaining stability -- making for easier ingress and egress.. If it's no problem for you though, then never mind.. Whatever gets the job done to one's level of requirement, satisfaction and need is the proper setup..

b) batboy: I'll be mainly photographing same as you, errors and varieties -- in my case mostly of modern-era pennies.. Just wondering what your go-to USB microscope (and lighting setup) is these days..?

Input from anyone using USB microscopes for macro shots of copper is more than welcome.. Description, or better yet: photographs, of your lighting setup will be wayyy appreciated as well..

Incidentally, I don't think those are rim cuds on the 1887 IHC.. Looks to me more like an edge rolled fold that has its center "snapped" out / off.. I can't call it rim because the way I see it the stamper initially left the "extra metal" on the edge.. Note the two drag / scrape marks and gouge mark on coin's face too..

Anyhow, looking forward to hear n see what y'all have to say n show.. The only digital microscope here ever is one of those early days three-figure jumbo-tron jobs meant to be used for viewing slices illuminated from beneath.. Due to its construction I don't think lights can even be positioned externally in a manner allowing maximum brightness to fall under the 'scope.. So looking for some hands-on input to augment mfg's claims.. They're inexpensive enough these days, that's for sure..!

Swamp
Edited by da Swampster
04/30/2018 4:29 pm
Valued Member
410 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is my setup.
Yes I stack boxes whene needed.
The white led light is from the Dollar store.
But the light on my scope is adjustable and fine
I can go from here

to hereno problem.

Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having started fussing myself with the Celestron scope this has been a very helpful thread.

Anyone working with LEDs for long periods should be aware there is a debate about risks presented by the bluish light produced by many bright LEDs. Some studies suggest bluish light greatly increases the risk of cataracts, others studies say no. It's a topic worth monitoring if you frequently use this type setup to photograph coins.
Valued Member
Canada
209 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big thanks to CrazyB and batboy for the brilliant idea. Now I do not have to prop my USB microscope on books. Today I use a 5/8" oak dowel rod from Lowes as the replacement. Tested it and it works great.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice solution! I ended up buying a metal tube but the wood dowel should work just as well and is much cheaper.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05