Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1803 Large Cent - Keep Or Send Back?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  09:52 am Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased this 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent on eBay and am trying to decide whether to keep it or send it back. It has strong Very Fine details, but it also has the green on areas of both sides and some fine porosity on the obverse in front of the bust. The porosity does not show up on the photos.

I'm not sure if the green is an indication that it has been cleaned or spent time in the ground.

I paid about $170 for it, which I feel is a good price, but also a lot of money for my coin budget, and I don't want to end up with a coin that has environmental damage or other issues.

It has a 14 day return privilege, so I thought I'd ask CCF members their opinions on it.

Thanks.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
7577 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post the listing ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
556 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I don't like it due to the issues but I understand your situation. Could you find one of lower grade but with less
/no problems in your price target? Is there a restocking fee? If not, I would return it for a better example with less issues.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  11:01 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the eBay listing.

The coin is a bit darker than my photos. I used more light to help the green show up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-1803-La...4yHiyEM%253D
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4204 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He has a 17th cent. Irish 1/2 penny with "Nice glossy green surfaces" lol

Edited by fioti
03/25/2017 11:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2433 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin already has ED. I would return the coin. If you are going to return the coin, do not try to clean the green areas, send the coin back as is.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  11:47 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done anything to the coin.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a lot of moolah to spend for a "project" coin.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Return it - it is only going to get worse with time as it looks like the corrosion causing the pitting has set in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7577 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
His pics clearly showed the green but not as extensively as yours. Are your pics pretty accurate color wise ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color on my photos is shows the coin lighter than it actually is. I used more light to highlight the green on the coin. It is a darker brown and the green is not as pronounced.
Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42816 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd pass - you can do better.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2017  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the sellers images this is clearly a "Problem" coin, I am confused why you even bid on it in the first place
Maybe if this was sent to NGC or PCGS for "Conservation" you could still end up with a decent coin out of this ?
The coin itself still has plenty of detail left on it But that Verdigris needs to be removed professionally
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  08:32 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to send the coin back. Thanks for all the help.

In answer to Trout1105's question on why I bid on it - I sometimes bid on coins that have "iffy" photos. Some turn out to be duds, but there are some treasures to be found hiding in poor photos.

I have an 1857 Flying Eagle cent in my collection from an eBay auction with a fuzzy photo. I picked it up for $120. It now rests in an NGC MS-63 holder.

This one, unfortunately didn't work out as I had hoped it might.
Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although it certainly appears to have environmental damage, it looks to be a F-VF condition coin which would be in the 325-500 range if details free.

You're into it for more than I'd want to be ... but for the right price I'd be glad to have it and would give it a little VerdiCare action and see how much of the crud I could get off of it. Certainly a return though ... given the cost.
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fathead 5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send it back, and wait for a problem-free example.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05