Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

CCAC Meeting Images For The 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 4,454Next Topic
Page: of 4
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  12:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pillar of the Community
United States
1701 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's all? Only 3? I'll go with 03, but frankly, I like none of them.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3393 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugh. Remember, the black and grey background will only come up when struck with special finishes (like the Mark Twain coin). And that is a terrible caricature of the LEM.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8739 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this curved like the Baseball HOF coins? Looks like it is or even should be. They should use the same Eagle as the IKE and SBA dollars have on the other side.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1701 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The designs for the other side are being submitted by the public and the competition is still open. (And yes, this coin will be curved.)

https://www.usmint.gov/news/design-...ns/apollo-11
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
86151 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they will be curved and the distorted images are because they represent a reflection in the helmet visor.

I am still not happy about the curved coins, but I really wanted to see this program so I will wait to see what we get and whether they are appealing enough for me to change my mind.
Learn More...
United States
14404 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  12:09 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a space fanatic, so I will probably pass on this one.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10436 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, they will be curved and the distorted images are because they represent a reflection in the helmet visor.

This photo may help folks to understand what's going on. The section in red below is what they are trying to approximate on the reverse. I can't image that's an easy task considering how difficult it is to render accurately on a coin something that's not distorted.

Apologies for the duplicate post earlier. Missed this thread the first time around.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1950 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't care for any of these. I'll wait to see the actual coin before making a buy decision.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20492 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Apologies for the duplicate post earlier. Missed this thread the first time around.

No worries, if I would've paid a little more attention I would've merged them because the post fits here perfectly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10436 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm getting more and more excited about these. I have no problem with the curved nature of the coin. My problem is going to be scrounging up the funds for all of the usual suspects (1/2 proof & unc, dollar proof & unc, one of the gold) plus the 5-oz Ag!

I assume there will only be an UNC 5-oz...
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a big space fanatic and really don't dig the designs......even though it is of an "iconic" photo. I'm excited the mint is marking this history, but I think this one could have been a little better.

I personally love the photo of the salute with the lander in the background......but that's just my opinion. :)
Always collecting silver wartime Jefferson nickels '42-'45!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well....... I like this design. I prefer 03 overall, but I like the craters in 01 better.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also am a space nut. I was a kid when Apollo 11 landed. It was extremely exciting and I will definitely be getting these.
Learn More...
United States
86151 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2017  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm getting more and more excited about these. I have no problem with the curved nature of the coin.
I am warming up to them. I would hate to regret passing up on a this theme. I am glad that I have two years to make up my mind.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10436 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here we are... likely less than a year away from these coins. Does anyone have any new intel on them?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 4,454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05