Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Transition From Franklin Halves to Kennedy Halves  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4316 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  09:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is my understanding that the Franklin 50 cent pieces ended 4 years early by an act of Congress to commemorate Kennedy. Had Kennedy not been assassinated, would we have had Franklin's to this day or would they have changed it up after the 25 year minimum?

I also found it interesting that Kennedy could have been on the quarter but his wife wanted Washington to stay on the quarter and rightfully so.

Having said all that, how long will Kennedy be commemorated on the 50 cent piece? Indefinitely? Is it time for someone new?
Pillar of the Community
United States
827 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I imagine indefinitely since half dollar isn't even produced for circulation so there is no reason to change it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1375 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Franklin halves were only minted for 16 years, so it was definitely short compared to other halves. I have to agree with Bryan in that they're no longer minted for circulation* so there's little or no push from the public for a new design. Look at the headlines: there is still considerable interest in the life and untimely death of JFK. Frankly, I'd welcome a return to Liberty. Why not shift the design of the coins and medals from this year to the half dollar? Or use Mercanti's concept design for the small dollar that got canned in favor of the SBA?

*I buy an extra roll for spending over the course of the year just so I can make some collector's day a little brighter!
- I've been collecting Lincoln cents for about two score and seven years & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, etc.
- I've also completed MS sets of Jeffersons and Franklins and I enjoy the hunt for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.

ANA Lifer #: 6565
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6201 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't the Kennedy half be a Commemorative coin?
I think it was such an event that shocked the world that it stayed on.
The new design was and is an eye catching work of art, so it remains.
I bet if you asked a 3rd grader who it is on a Kennedy half, they would not know very much about it or JFK for that matter today. They might not even know what the coin is being it a half dollar.
When I drove a school bus, I used to ask the kids "What happened on this day?"
on anniversaries of historical events. Hardly ever did any of them know the answers.
I wondered what they were teaching in school!
Us older folks, 60 and over, even as little kids remember where we were, and what we were doing when we heard of the assassination on November 22, 1963. Just like we remember Sept 11, 2001.
I do believe that the Franklin would have gone on much longer. At least through the 40% silver years and into the clad years for some time.
It would have probably become the candidate for the "State Halves" and " ATB Halves" too.
That would have been neat.
Personally, I like the Franklin over the Kennedy.
I'm pretty sure Franklin is the only dead guy on a US circulating coin that is not a dead president. That may also have something to do with it not returning.
Happy Thanksgiving ~ I am grateful!
Edited by TNG
10/23/2017 10:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4316 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely some good points there. The mint probably could have pushed the use of halves if they had done ATB designs. Though not a fan of that series, they would look better on a larger coin for sure. The thought of a Franklin clad is interesting. Right now I am quite burned out on long run multi-design issues like ATB and yearn for a new regular design. And I do agree about having more Liberty coins instead of a bunch of dead guys all the time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9996 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the primary reasons I've kept my US collection ending in 1964 was because of the plethora of types that began in the 80's and have continued.

Bunches of commemoratives, silver and clad, proof or reverse proof or Ultra proof, ASE's and gold and platinum and Palladiam, mint sets, proof sets of many types - just too much.

You would have to be seriously rich to buy one of each.

So while I respect collectors desire for continuity or for variety, I think both are available right now.

I just hope to goodness the US Mint doesn't follow in the footsteps of the RCM. Even if you were rich enough to buy one of each of their productions, within a couple years you'd need to buy another house just to store them in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9542 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Had Kennedy not been assassinated, would we have had Franklin's to this day or would they have changed it up after the 25 year minimum?

No way to ever know for sure, but everything else is the same from 63 so it is a pretty educated guess that we'd still have Franklins if the assassination never happened.

As far as how long Kennedy will stay on the half, probably a long long time. They have no real reason to switch it unless congress decides to make them switch.
Learn More...
United States
47732 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing as how every other current sub-half dollar design subject is older, I can guarantee that we would still have Franklin half dollars today.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18131 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that makes sense logically, though it's scary to think about.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Learn More...
United States
47732 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No scarier than the other four guys to whom we have become accustomed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05