Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 Annual Dollar Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,499Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4901 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  4:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The last one of the series and underappreciated despite my glowing comments a year ago. Only around 19k issued and prices show it...running between $105-110

BUT....anyone who loaded up (me) and is in the slabing mood...the 69's from the set (yes 69's) are going for around $200! (same coin was $64 in September)...and the 70's..well this is an ER example but still (completed sale)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-W-Sil...047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-W-Sil...AOSwuOxZ1Jsr

So it might make it worth those who got these to think about submitting them....worse case you get a $200 69 back...best case, well, we won't go there

Rainy day...mind wanders...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a difference between these coins and a typical $90 NGC MS70 2016-W Burnished ASE? or are folks collecting labels really willing to pay 10 times the cost of the generic label coin to get the label they want?
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got 2 with the idea of submitting one, but lucked into an NGC 70 for $75. Putting it simply, that dealer deserved that deal.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a difference between these coins and a typical $90 NGC MS70 2016-W Burnished ASE? or are folks collecting labels really willing to pay 10 times the cost of the generic label coin to get the label they want?

A decent number of ASE collectors want one from every possible way it was offered
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A decent number of ASE collectors want one from every possible way it was offered

Fair enough. It's their $ and if they want to pay that much for a label then that's up to them, but buying labels seems like it's open to scams.

For instance, could someone buy a regular MS70 ASE and a US Mint issued packaged coin, replace the coin in the mint package, send it in for grading and for a $200 investment get back something they can flip for many times that? Assuming, of course, that the TPG was consistent in their grading and the coin was still graded as a 70.

Or is the mint packaging secure enough that a coin couldn't be switched out?

Or does it even matter, as the coin would be genuine and the Mint could have put that coin into the package to begin with.

Makes my head spin thinking about it, and makes me glad I collect coins and not labels.
Edited by BadDog
11/16/2017 7:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

For instance, could someone buy a regular MS70 ASE and a US Mint issued packaged coin, replace the coin in the mint package, send it in for grading and for a $200 investment get back something they can flip for many times that? Assuming, of course, that the TPG was consistent in their grading and the coin was still graded as a 70.

They each have requirements for what you need to do to get them designated from the set, they vary a little between PCGS and NGC and depending on the set can have variations as well.

Being unopened is almost always a requirement for the set labels though and the majority of those will be coming from the big submitters that send a large shipment of sets essentially directly from the mint.

With the coin that was linked I believe you had to send those still in the sealed US mint shipping boxes for the set designation. If you opened the shipping box they sent you pretty sure you lost the designation
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With the coin that was linked I believe you had to send those still in the sealed US mint shipping boxes for the set designation.

That's interesting. I've only submitted raw coins for TPG grading. I knew that to get some labels you had to submit the coins still in the Mint packaging, but never realized that for some types of labels the coins must be submitted in the sealed Mint shipping boxes.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's interesting. I've only submitted raw coins for TPG grading. I knew that to get some labels you had to submit the coins still in the Mint packaging, but never realized that for some types of labels the coins must be submitted in the sealed Mint shipping boxes.

That's one of the only ones I can remember having to be in the shipping boxes besides first strike ect past the date. That was probably there way of keeping the packaging from coming back again
Pillar of the Community
United States
5080 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy the coin, not the label.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4901 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buy the coin, not the label.

Yes, but sell the label not the coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4901 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok...got the scoop.

For the Annual Dollar Set ( NGC):

Quote:
ANNUAL DOLLAR COIN SET (2007-date)

Contains four Presidential $1 coins, one Native American $1 coin and one Uncirculated Silver Eagle coin.
Available for all submitters.
Must be received in the original US Mint packaging.
Request ANNUAL DOLLAR COIN SET pedigree on the NGC Submission Form.
Not listed separately in the NGC Census.

You can indicate just the ASE to be graded.

Different from this:

Quote:
LIMITED EDITION SET (2014-date)

Contains five different America the Beautiful Quarters, one Silver Eagle $1 coin, one Kennedy half dollar and one Roosevelt dime. Each coin features an "S" mintmark signifying that they were struck at the San Francisco Mint.
Available for all submitters.
Sets must be submitted in the sealed US Mint shipping box.
Request LIMITED EDITION SET pedigree on the NGC Submission Form.
Listed separately in the NGC Census.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4901 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot...there was an inquiry as to whether the ASE was any different that the regular 2016 W...absolutely not...it's the same coin. Price is TOTALLY label related.

Here's another example of the same 2016-W from the totally ignored (by me) Congrats Set of 2016. No hoopla 'cuz it had a run of the mill W instead of the S in the 2017

Remember...same coin...and this is not an asking price that was just thrown out there. It is a completed sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-W-30t...AOSwsWpZ39-7

Guess I should have loaded up on these sets along with the Annual $ Set but....

Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FM, thanks for looking up the NGC submission procedures.

From those procedures, it looks to me like NGC thinks the dollar set packaging is more tamper resistant.

I've never purchased either the dollar set or the LES (don't collect ASEs), but from the pictures it looks like the dollar set comes in a blister pack and the LES comes in individual capsules? Capsules are easily opened, so you could replace coins in a LES at will, so I guess this is why NGC wants this submission in sealed Mint shipping packaging. I've never tried to open and re-seal a blister pack, so I don't know if it can be done effectively, but if it can then I'm sure that someone out there is trying the coin switch I mentioned previously.
Edited by BadDog
11/17/2017 09:12 am
Learn More...
United States
112160 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4901 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never purchased either the dollar set or the LES (don't collect ASEs), but from the pictures it looks like the dollar set comes in a blister pack and the LES comes in individual capsules?

Correct...but I could never figure out why I didn't have to send a sealed shipping box to NGC when I had a bunch of 2017 Congrats sets (2017-S ASE in capsule) sent for grading...just the Mint packaging. I even got the packaging and capsules back....
Edited by Foxwoods Man
11/17/2017 10:29 am
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2017  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
've never tried to open and re-seal a blister pack, so I don't know if it can be done effectively, but if it can then I'm sure that someone out there is trying the coin switch I mentioned previously.

Any of the cardboard holders with the coin in it there's almost always some markings from where they removed the coin even if you get the packaging back

Quote:

Correct...but I could never figure out why I didn't have to send a sealed shipping box to NGC when I had a bunch of 2017 Congrats sets (2017-S ASE in capsule) sent for grading...just the Mint packaging. I even got the packaging and capsules back....

That's interesting. PCGS always returns the OGP but NGC usually charges to do that.

Was this before or after the price run up? If it was before they probably just didn't foresee the market run up
Edited by basebal21
11/17/2017 1:42 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,499Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: