Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello, I'm Mike And I'm A Recovering Fallen-numismatist

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  5:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mp0510 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just found this forum.

My name is Michael, but I go by Mike. I used to collect coins back when I was 10-13 years old. That was back in 1978-81.

My father was Air Force and we got stationed at San Vito AFB in Italy. When you're old enough to go pretty much anywhere, but you're not old enough to drive (plus there's a guarded gate so you can't just stroll on out without you're parents!)

So, you kinda check out anything that looks interesting. As part of Boy Scouts, I did the coin collecting merit badge and that lead me to the adult coin collector club on the base. They would meet every 2 weeks, and had trade/auctions and talked about the history of various coins, designs, etc. Obviously I was on a much lower budget than the rest of the club, but I would save and buy the ones I liked that were in my price range. That's where I got a 1943 steel penny I still have.

Of course, I didn't exactly treat it well. Not bad, just not correct. I put it (and the rest of the wheat pennies I had) in a plastic penny tube I ordered. When we got back to the states, I was in 8th grade and the coins got put in the back of a drawer and left while I pursued other interests (girls, cars, video games!). When I moved out after high school, I left them with my dad and basically forgot about them until this year.

My father passed away earlier this year, and I helped my mother sort though all his stuff looking for the various important papers and such. He had health problems, so he had set up in a medically adjustable bed, with oxygen, and other stuff, in my old room. So there was a lot of stuff that had collected. going through this, I found the coins, as well as some he had kept from various travels.

That got me into thinking about coins and possibly collecting again. At a very modest level. I'm split about 50/50 on collectible coins and straight bullion, as far as what I want to collect or invest in. Right now, I'm splitting the difference by buying modern silver coins with limited production runs, when they first come out, while the price is close to the spot or original mint price. I'm also buying a few MS-69 and MS-70 certified ones as well.

I have forgotten most (if not all) of what I had learned, so I'll be re-educating myself. Which means I'll probably be asking a ton of stupid questions. Just pat me on the head, answer in small words, and send me on my way. I'll eventually get to being fluent once again. (Although I'm not 100% sure I was ever actually "fluent" since I was 12 at the time.)

Thanks for having a great forum like this!
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1665 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back, Mike! Your story sounds a bit like mine (Boy Scouts, falling away from coins for a couple decades). You'll find a great group here.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41354 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ask away!

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Many of us are "re-collectors", after leaving coin collecting for other pursuits and responsibilities and rekindling an interest again. Set your plan, what you want to collect, but be flexible. You may want to shift or tweek directions a bit. Here's the place to learn and share, have fun!

Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We are blessed with a lot of experts (not me) who are great teachers and we all learn from each other's questions.
Learn More...
United States
14160 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the addiction/hobby.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a whole different ballgame, than it was 40 years back, for better or worse, take your pick.
Welcome back
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
9021 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF Mike! I took an extended sabbatical from collecting coins as well. It seems life and raising children becomes a bit of a distraction for many of us.
Member SSDC, TNA
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mac1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome mike !
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave700x, I tried sending you a email, but it kicked back? Can you shoot me a PM or email, nothing Earth shattering, just personal.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Valued Member
Canada
200 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OttawaVoyageur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story. Welcome to CCF

Pillar of the Community
United States
9021 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I tried sending you a email, but it kicked back

Not sure what happened, I received an email from another member last night. PM sent
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1471 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Mike. I'm yet another old school collector who has recently come back into the fold. This site will help answer your questions and, probably, spend more on the hobby than you initially planned! Glad you're here!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05