Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Genuine Or Fake: 1865 Seated Liberty Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  9:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BillbertGilbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I hope this is the correct place to post this, and my apologies if not.
I've done a lot of studying, magnifying and second guessing, trying to figure out if this 1865 Seated Liberty dollar is genuine or not, and while I'm leaning in one direction, I'd love to hear any input and/or opinions on it from whomever would like to give it.

Weight: 26.5g
Diameter: 37.9

A fairly cheap caliper and digital scale were used for the figures above, so while accurate for the most part, likely could be off .01 or so +/-

Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I fear there's very little question that it's fake. In addition to the classic "grainy" look of the devices, the date digits are all wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is off. Fake or altered into an 1865.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5085 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote fake. The color suggests a non-silver alloy. The date digits look like they are the wrong style. Hopefully you didn't spend any money on it....
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A worn looking coin, without much wear. JMHO
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
4655 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notice the dark toning around the devices? That is a huge indicator that this coin has questionable authenticity and most likely has Chinese origins.

The date font is way off, too!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake. Sorry
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BillbertGilbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I figured. Thank you for the confirmation. While I did buy it, it was on the condition that I could return it if I learned it was fake. Thanks again for the input everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2012 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% fake. Sorry.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2413 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks like a cast fake as there are lots of pit marks and cast bumps in the fields.
Edited by Slider23
12/01/2017 11:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2017  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gee, looks just like my "replica"...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41313 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2017  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Liberty's head bothers me more than anything.

to the CCF!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05