Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thinking Of Starting A Silver 3 Cent Collection

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
310 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  09:48 am Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey there.. So far, I have focused my collection on the more "modern" issues (Franklins, Roosevelts, Washington quarters, Jeffesons, etc.).

However, I was thinking of trying "dip my toes" into the "Classical Coin" area. I like collecting "full series", and most of the classical series are VERY expensive and way out of my price league.

However, one possible series I saw was "Silver 3 Cents".
I REALLY like the design, like that they are real "silver", and looks like about 25 in the full series.

From a quick look at the Heritage Auctions site, looks like I can get many of the ones in the dates of 1851 through 1863 as "Slabbed Coins" in XF for around $100 each. Expensive, but doable over many years. The coins in the range of 1863 through 1873 are definitely more expensive, so I may need to drop down to "F" or VG" to make them more affordable, or go with one with "details" or "cleaned".

The other series I looked at as an option was the "Liberty half dimes", but I just don't like the design or the look.. sorry.. just an ugly coin to me.

So, that is when I found the Silver 3 Cent series..

Just wanted any thoughts on this collection?

Or any ideas for any other collections of "classical" US coins that can be reasonably completed without going broke.

Thanks.

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From a quick look at the Heritage Auctions site, looks like I can get many of the ones in the dates of 1851 through 1863 as "Slabbed Coins" in XF for around $100 each. Expensive, but doable over many years. The coins in the range of 1863 through 1873 are definitely more expensive, so I may need to drop down to "F" or VG" to make them more affordable, or go with one with "details" or "cleaned".

Even in VG or F, 3 cent pieces minted from 1863-1873, especially from 1868-73, will not be $100. More like $400.

Quote:
The other series I looked at as an option was the "Liberty half dimes", but I just don't like the design or the look.. sorry.. just an ugly coin to me.

Don't tell MikeF....

Quote:
Or any ideas for any other collections of "classical" US coins that can be reasonably completed without going broke.

It depends on what grade you're looking for. Are you okay with having some in the AG-XF range, or do you want all of your coins to be AU/MS?

What do you consider affordable?
Edited by SilverDollar2017
01/25/2018 09:58 am
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  10:13 am  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm.. $400 a coin may be too pricey for me.. must have misread the Heritage Auction prices.. will check again..

I am open with respect to "condition" but like to collect them all in a "similar condition", but wouldn't want to drop much below coins in the "F" or "XF" range, except for perhaps one or two down to "G" for "key date" type coins..

And I would be willing to spend maybe $1,000 a year on this series, with the goal of completing it in a max of about 5 years..

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmm.. $400 a coin may be too pricey for me.. must have misread the Heritage Auction prices.. will check again..

Not all 3 cent pieces are very expensive, especially the early dates. The later dates are rather expensive.

The 3 cent piece is a good set if you don't mind the high prices on the later dates. Other ones that don't break the bank are:

Matron Head and Coronet large cents
Shield nickel
Seated dimes and half dimes
Variety 2 capped bust quarters
Walking Liberty half dollar

especially if you intend to put together a date set, and not a date/mint mark set. A set with all dates and mint marks will be very expensive in any classic series. However, if you wish to only put together a date set, without all mint marks, then it should be fine.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.. Will look into these series..

And I have previously always collected the "full series" (date + mint mark + Proofs) for the "moderns", but I may need to 'rethink' that these classic series.

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And I have previously always collected the "full series" (date + mint mark + Proofs) for the "moderns", but I may need to 'rethink' that these classic series.

You'll find that collecting date/mintmark/proof is almost impossible in classic series. Proofs can often be $10,000 or more depending on the series. Most are about $4000 or more.
Just stick with a date set and you should be fine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7721 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could always do a 3CS Type Set;

Type 1, Small Star (1851-1853)

Type 2, Large Star, Three Lines (1854-1858)

Type 3, Large Star, Two Lines (1859-1873)

http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/Hierarchy.aspx?c=77
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oih82w8, that's a great idea. I might try that myself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a good idea, too. In fact, I like the idea of collecting a "type set" of all the classic series for a possible project for einstem. When I first started collecting, that's what I did. I still have many of them, too. This way, one gets to enjoy all the designs and it's a lot of fun checking them all out when deciding which to buy.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42658 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an ambitious undertaking - keep us posted if you get into it!
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.

And the " Shield nickel" set looks very "doable" as well, and I love the design. And none seem to be crazy/expensive. I can definitely do a date set, and maybe even a type set (excluding proofs of course).

Also, I do like the idea of a full "type set" of all the coins, cherry picking a nice one for each type. Would be a great project to learn about each type of coin in detail.

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider collecting the Trimes from 1851 through 1862 as you could do this in XF for about $100 a coin. If you did this set in orginal attractive toned coins, it would be challenging and rewarding upon completion.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coins in the range of 1863 through 1873 are definitely more expensive, so I may need to drop down to "F" or VG" to make them more affordable, or go with one with "details" or "cleaned".

Problem is the guide may show them as being more affordable, but they are practically nonexistant. You can find proofs, Mint state, and the occasional AU, but lower grade coins are rarely encountered. Especially the very low grades.

Another good choice for a classic set are capped bust half dimes. Only 9 coins, no rare dates, and the prices are reasonable.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11984 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been trying to put together a nice F-15 to EF-45 set of Liberty Head Nickels . They are all affordable except for 1885 ,1886 and 1912-S which are the only 3 coins I'm missing . Love this series , the main idea is to obtain them with Full Liberty as most of mine are .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gave some thought to putting together a classic set of circulation strikes 20 cent pieces.
There are only 4. I may do that someday.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you love the look of the TINY 3CS, have fun collecting them. But they are far from an easy set to assemble. Especially with decent eye appeal. Forgetting the grade, they are tough to find well struck and without die deterioration.

I would very strongly recommend you consider a type set.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05