Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin - Scratch or Error?  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bullyawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great first experience w/ this forum! I took all the great advice and finally cracked it out of the holder (not as hard as I thought it would be.)

Talk about an instant let down ...guess it was a white hair after all (you can see it up above the T in new pic below). Completely fooled me (even after multiple close up pics and inspecting under my loupe.)

Guess nothing beats a coin "in the raw".

Thank you all for taking the time to teach me a valuable lesson.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14441 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand why you don't want to take such a pristine out of it's capsule.

I think all of the pictures taken together, are easily good enough not to have to take it out.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10484 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Be aware that no TPG will accept it in the mint issued capsule

They actually will. PCGS you can send anything in the mint packaging and they'll even return the packaging most of the time for free. NGC has a per order charge for returning the packaging if you want it back. ICG and ANACS I am not sure what their returning packaging policy is but all of them will take moderns in the capsules or mint packaging.

They really just don't want a bunch of low value older coins coming in in them all the time, high value coins they allow to be sent in capsules as well for protection during mailing

The one thing they'll all always reject are stapled 2x2s. They don't want to risk staple scratching something removing it.
Edited by basebal21
03/12/2018 11:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4143 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  08:25 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

They actually will. PCGS you can send anything in the mint packaging and they'll even return the packaging most of the time for free. NGC has a per order charge for returning the packaging if you want it back.

Correct. I always send my coins in their capsules. One less chance of messing them up.
Learn More...
United States
58086 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a great first experience w/ this forum!
That is what we like to hear.

Quote:
Guess nothing beats a coin "in the raw".
The photo looks great!

Quote:
Thank you all for taking the time to teach me a valuable lesson.
Glad we could help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8365 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The photo looks great!

I agree; very nice coin.

Now that the mystery is solved, are you going to return it to its holder or send it in for grading?

By the way, I had to do the same thing to my most recent 5-oz ATB puck -- open the capsule and blow off some threads that looked like scratches.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bullyawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@celticknot - yep - off to PCGS she goes!
Learn More...
United States
58086 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Talk about an instant let down .

No way! The fields on that coin are stunning! Perfect.

While there are some expensive error coins out there, a coin with a die crack is not unusual and it's likely that many similar coins would have been minted before the die was retired.

Also, the error coin market is a roller coaster compared to having a really nice coin.

Here's hoping for a 70! Good luck.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05