Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found my first ancient purchase after being lost a few years! Aurelian ant!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7054 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:58 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had misplaced this coin -- the very first ancient I ever purchased -- after moving into my current house in 2005.

I've been looking for it for a couple years now but it was eluding me until I opened a box of old arcade tokens I had stuck in the closet and saw this peeking out at me...

I bought this coin in New Orleans from a coin shop in 1996. I have forgotten the name of the shop. It's still in its original flip. I wanted to buy a Roman coin and had $50 to spend and decided this was the nicest Roman coin I could get for under $50.

It's an AE ant of Aurelian, silvered, with Jupiter, Siscia mint. I think for being in a flip for 20 years it's doing ok! Fortunately it wasn't in PVC!

I put it into one of my backgrounds, and then added the card from the flip.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8211 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice remaining detail. I'm sure many folk misplace things on their way home from NOLA.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3689 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice first foray into ancients. Glad to read how you excavated it amidst that hoard of arcade tokens.

Try to hold onto it this time, Adam.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7054 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's now in my book in an envelope snuggled up next to a couple of other Aurelians, none as nice as this one.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3428 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An almost perfectly centered strike on a pretty round flan. Silvering and details of the design almost wholly intact on both sides. Way better than VF, I'd say.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
21627 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you finally found it. A very nice first coin.
Valued Member
France
128 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice story and beautiful coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05