Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clipped coins as a collectible  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sweet_Kenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wouldn’t it be easy to artificially clip coins? Just wondering why people consider it a collectibility.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6807 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
There are diagnostics to determine a "fake" clipped coin vs a genuine clipped coin that became an error in the minting process.
Fakes are made all the time and sold to unknowing beginner or less error-educated collectors.
Signature:
Sign Here X ____________________________
Edited by TNG
04/14/2018 10:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7549 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are tell-tale signs of a true mint produced clipped coin, the most basic is shape of the edge, is metal straight cut or it is pushed together. Then there is the Blakesley effect, a pressure differential 180 degrees opposite to the clip. Other factors apply as well, so yes, it is easy to spot a coin altered buy the garage imp LJ.

Stoopid and uneducated folks buy his wares off sleezeeBay every day.
“I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”
James Madison
Edited by Crazyb0
04/14/2018 10:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6807 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy ... we are in the same orbit tonight!
Signature:
Sign Here X ____________________________
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13989 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine clip errors are always collectible.
One of the easiest diagnostics is the
Blakesley Effect (Wiki).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6404 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the above. Here's a topic I posted that has some decent pics and a little discussion about real clips vs. PMD:

http://goccf.com/t/290283
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5436 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ride on My LJ brother! Thanks CrazybO
Having a sense of humor is the greatest thing God gave you! Have fun using it!

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (56 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And With all six of ya! And it doesn't get any clearer than Crazybo' straight from the hip definition, especially how the fakes are done
My goal in life is to live forever, so far so good!
When I was in college I majored in malfunction.
If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1738 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(Genuine) clipped coins are kind of a fun collectible, like all genuine mint errors, may often be purchased at a modest price, and are sometimes found in circulation or accumulations. I have about 20 of them from different countries.
Learn More...
Canada
7671 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the easiest diagnostics is the Blakesley Effect (Wiki).

No... my eyes always go to the rim, where the raised rim meets the clip. That dovetailing rim towards the outside of the rim is the key diagnostic - especially with larger clip, rim clips or straight clips where the Blakesley Effect can be absent...

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
1831 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are tell-tale signs of a true mint produced clipped coin, the most basic is shape of the edge, is metal straight cut or it is pushed together. Then there is the Blakesley effect, a pressure differential 180 degrees opposite to the clip. Other factors apply as well, so yes, it is easy to spot a coin altered buy the garage imp LJ.

Straight and to the point Crazyb0!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6404 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  03:38 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That dovetailing rim towards the outside of the rim is the key diagnostic

I agree. I call it a "tapered rim", but it is the same. I have been told here that the Blakesley Effect is more prominent on smaller clips. I have not found that to be true, however.

Genuine clips can be identified and sorted out.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
04/16/2018 03:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
622 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is a great thread to read on clipped coins from Canada and there are plenty of beautiful examples

http://goccf.com/t/189188
Edited by robmck1967
04/17/2018 8:59 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05