Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Captain Canuck Coins

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community

Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  7:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just bought some of these coins. These are the first RCM coins I have been excited about in 3 years. I remember Captain Canuck as being Canada's cheesy version of Captain America. He was always so ridiculously ultra-Canadian and I loved it. You used to be able to get the mini-comics in cereal boxes when I was a kid.

I'm glad that the RCM is taking a chance on some uniquely Canadian items. Maybe we will see some SCTV or Log Driver coins in the future! I hope the RCM creates more items along these lines :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33470 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard of this super hero! Do you have a pic of him?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4230 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the #1 version of the comic is hardly worth a 100 bucks, why would this kind of coin do well, but at least it is Canadian !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2158 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it so very hard to find a pic of these coins? The only place I saw one was a representation on eBay. Even then its more of a silver 1 Oz bar than a coin.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the newer Captain Canuck. The older version from the 70s and 80s was a little more, well, 80s looking. lol!
Edited by JGG
04/24/2018 8:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully they make it out of the MC tiers. It would be nice to see these make it out to people other than insiders. Never thought that our Mint would produce something like this. With all the hypersensitivity of the day, I'm surprised the brushed the dust off of old Captain Canuck!

CC-Ottawa, now we all know what the CC stands for! LOL!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the Mint's website:

"As part of a tribute to Canadian superheroes, Canada Post released a Captain Canuck stamp in 1995. It soon became the best-selling Canadian stamp ever released"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4230 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's has to be wrong regarding Canada Post, when they produce a definitive stamp like a regular Queen Elizabeth 2 in the millions or some regular P stamp, these has to be more sold than Captain Canuck, started collecting stamps until CP produced so many you can't keep up, sounds just like the RCM today.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
596 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta agree with JGG...unlike Captain America Superman - the uncool Canuckish factor is what's so appealing with this theme...gotta have it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
881 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JGG ...I so agree with you on this new Captain Canuck coin. By the way, the RCM only has 1,500 of the 3,500 issued that will have signed certificates from the artist himself. I ordered a few. LOL I believe that the other 2,000 coins that will probably go to dealers will not have the signed certificates.

@Earle42 The reason it is so hard to find a picture is because the RCM's advance notice is only released to Platinum Prestige, Plus etc...at the moment. The public release will probably be next week. I think anyway.

Eh.....A coin for us Canucks.

Also, before I even had a chance to order from CC&C advance notice, they were completely out of stock. Unbelievable.
Edited by New1954
04/25/2018 09:06 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6490 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, I join to your excitement.

Never was fan of the Superheroes, but here we getting truly Canadian pop art coin.

The warning:
It might have Zero international demand.
But our people will do everything to get it, and if someone will not get - the complaints will be more , than in 2013 for Superman coin.

So the point is clear.
How to get it:
a. Overpay a bit on eBay at presales.
b. Start now to look and ask for it at CP locations
c. Call RCM at the release to MC day and say:
"listen , I know that you released this coin, the number is xYZ. Oh, I am not MC and you can't sell? Please contact me with your Manager"

NOTE:
Load only if budget permits. Don't gamble on it with the last money.
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I asked my friends in Quebec. They never heard of Captain Canuck.

I think people who grew up with Captain Canuck may like this coin. But the market for this coin might be limited.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I called the Mint today to ask if I could order a few even though my platinum prestige has expired. Also tried two post offices in Oakville, and both said their coins were purchased already. Maybe next we will see a "Littlest Hobo" Coin! LOL!

Nice that they used the original 1975 version of Captain Canuck, as opposed to the more modern renditions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks New1954

Although a US citizen, I lived next to the border all my life and so Canada was a second home for me. Living a lot further form the border now, I understand how much I took living in that locale for granted. I get very "homesick" for Canada.

But at least couple years ago I found when my family immigrated from Germany, they settled first in Canada. That was grade eh information to me!

All those years and never tried poutine
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silveroid, I tried your advice from #3. They will not sell it to me. He said the coin is moving very fast though (argh!).

I paid the premium and bought some off of eBay before the price gets out of control.
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05